Compiling on Another Machine With Different Architecture
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
prestige787
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:46 pm    Post subject: Compiling on Another Machine With Different Architecture Reply with quote

So I have an M2 macbook air, which is an arm machine, and would like to be able to compile certain packages on my desktop amd64 machine, especially packages like llvm, where the macbook starts to slow down significantly due to not having active cooling. This seems to not be too difficult if both computers have the same architecture, but I'm not sure how I would do this here. Ideally I could setup something where I ssh into the desktop and compile have a single command emerge the desired packages. Any help appreciated!

Side note, I've notices a lot of packages that lack the ~arm or ~arm64 flag compile and run just fine when I add in the flag to the ebuild, where would be the best place to report that the package works fine on the architecture?
Zucca

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Compiling on Another Machine With Different Architecture Reply with quote

prestige787 wrote:
So I have an M2 macbook air, which is an arm machine, and would like to be able to compile certain packages on my desktop amd64 machine, especially packages like llvm, where the macbook starts to slow down significantly due to not having active cooling. This seems to not be too difficult if both computers have the same architecture, but I'm not sure how I would do this here. Ideally I could setup something where I ssh into the desktop and compile have a single command emerge the desired packages. Any help appreciated!

See the Crossdev wiki page.
Although... My M2 compiles packages very fast, so I do not offload any compilations outside and instead do everything locally. The only thing slowing down some compilations is the lack of RAM.

prestige787 wrote:
Side note, I've notices a lot of packages that lack the ~arm or ~arm64 flag compile and run just fine when I add in the flag to the ebuild, where would be the best place to report that the package works fine on the architecture?
You should open a bug against the package for ~arm64 keywording.
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: