Installing on real hardware with bad specs
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemonisclown
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2024 9:40 pm    Post subject: Installing on real hardware with bad specs Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

First of all, I'd like to say that I'm still a beginner when it comes to installing Gentoo. I really like the philosophy of this OS, but I'm still struggling on some points, even though my installations have generally gone very smoothly.

As the title suggests, I'll soon be installing Gentoo on real hardware. Every time I've done so, it's been on a virtual machine with pretty good specs (usually 6 cores minimum and 8g ram). This time, the machine will be... Let's say pretty bad. The CPU looks like this:

Intel Pentium D915 Dual Core.

This bad boy has 2 cores/2 threads. Which means I'll have plenty of time to do other things when it starts compiling. As for RAM, I don't know yet, but I'm guessing 1 or 2 GB. As for the hard disk, it'll be HDD, as I don't have any SSDs to spare.

I'm coming to you for help with optimization. Indeed, my use will be limited to C programming. I specify C, because I don't intend to use Rust, for example. What's more, I can get along just fine with tmux and vim, with which I already work very well. Indeed, if RAM is low, I don't think I'll need a graphical interface. Besides, I don't think I'd really want one on this war monster.

I think I'll need help with "make.conf" or maybe even during installation.

Thank you in advance for your future messages,

Lemon.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: