Hassle-free video adapter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Hassle-free video adapter Reply with quote

Hi folks

I've dusted off a 2015-era ThinkStation, with an ancient NVidia video adapter, which doesn't seem to be very reliable. I'm wondering whether it might be less painful to replace it than to try to make it work.

My graphics needs are modest, or so it seems to me. However, for best use of Darktable, I would like OpenCL support. I only have the haziest notion what OpenCL is, but I know that if I click the 'use OpenCL' button on a machine that supports it, Darktable is much faster.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for something that would be hassle-free. The impression I get is that nothing made by NVidia is likely to fall into that category, but I really know very little about this subject. Of course, I want to spend the absolute minimum money. But I'd spend more money to get less hassle, if that is the trade-off.

If OpenCL support is too difficult, or too expensive, I can manage without. I'm sorry if this is a vague request -- I know nothing about graphics.

Any suggestions welcome.

BR, Lars.
jpsollie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Hassle-free video adapter Reply with quote

lars_the_bear wrote:
Hi folks

I've dusted off a 2015-era ThinkStation, with an ancient NVidia video adapter, which doesn't seem to be very reliable. I'm wondering whether it might be less painful to replace it than to try to make it work.

My graphics needs are modest, or so it seems to me. However, for best use of Darktable, I would like OpenCL support. I only have the haziest notion what OpenCL is, but I know that if I click the 'use OpenCL' button on a machine that supports it, Darktable is much faster.

What I'm looking for is a recommendation for something that would be hassle-free. The impression I get is that nothing made by NVidia is likely to fall into that category, but I really know very little about this subject. Of course, I want to spend the absolute minimum money. But I'd spend more money to get less hassle, if that is the trade-off.

If OpenCL support is too difficult, or too expensive, I can manage without. I'm sorry if this is a vague request -- I know nothing about graphics.

Any suggestions welcome.

BR, Lars.

it would be nice here if we could get some info about the GPU you're talking about.
OpenCL is supported for almost any GPU device since 2010, but the version (1.0, 1.1, ..., 2.0...) somehow limits what you can do with it.
Your driver preference (which is influenced by your GPU version) will probably the most important factor to check whether openCL will be running properly.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hassle-free video adapter Reply with quote

jpsollie wrote:

it would be nice here if we could get some info about the GPU you're talking about.

Thank you, but I'm afraid I have no idea, because I haven't bought it yet. I was hoping for some suggestion what to buy. There's already a thread discussing my existing GPU, and I've been told that OpenCL support is impossible for it.

BR, Lars.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: