Need help changing portage repo uri
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgnut57
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:07 pm    Post subject: Need help changing portage repo uri Reply with quote

Some years ago, I set portage to use a local package repository. That is no longer valid, but I can't figure out how to change it back to the default.

As can be seen, it is pointing to the hostname "gentoo-portage". This used to be valid, but is no longer valid for this machine:

Code:
# emerge --sync
!!! Found 2 make.profile dirs: using '/etc/portage/make.profile', ignoring '/etc/make.profile'
>>> Syncing repository 'gentoo' into '/usr/portage'...
>>> Starting rsync with rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage...
>>> Checking server timestamp ...
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to gentoo-portage (45.56.94.193): No route to host (113)
rsync error: error in socket IO (code 10) at clientserver.c(139) [Receiver=3.3.0]
>>> Retrying...
!!! Exhausted addresses for gentoo-portage
!!! Found 2 make.profile dirs: using '/etc/portage/make.profile', ignoring '/etc/make.profile'

* IMPORTANT: 3 config files in '/etc' need updating.
 * See the CONFIGURATION FILES and CONFIGURATION FILES UPDATE TOOLS
 * sections of the emerge man page to learn how to update config files.

* IMPORTANT: 9 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

Action: sync for repo: gentoo, returned code = 1

Searching the /etc/ directory for gentoo-portage does not show any current files that point to this host:

Code:
# grep -r gentoo-portage /etc
/etc/config-archive/etc/make.conf.dist.new:SYNC="rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage"
/etc/config-archive/etc/make.conf.dist.new:# PORTAGE_BINHOST="rsync://portage/gentoo-portage/packages/All"
/etc/config-archive/etc/rsyncd.conf.dist:#[gentoo-portage]
/etc/config-archive/etc/rsyncd.conf:#[gentoo-portage]
/etc/config-archive/etc/make.conf.1:SYNC="rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage"
/etc/config-archive/etc/make.conf.1:# PORTAGE_BINHOST="rsync://portage/gentoo-portage/packages/All"
/etc/config-archive/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf.dist:sync-uri = rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage
/etc/config-archive/etc/make.conf:SYNC="rsync://192.168.89.8/gentoo-portage"
/etc/config-archive/etc/make.conf:# PORTAGE_BINHOST="rsync://portage/gentoo-portage/packages/All"
/etc/rsyncd.conf:#[gentoo-portage]
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf:sync-uri = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.noconf:sync-uri = rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage
/etc/make.conf:# SYNC="rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage"
/etc/make.conf:# SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
/etc/make.conf:# PORTAGE_BINHOST="rsync://portage/gentoo-portage/packages/All"
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2024 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help changing portage repo uri Reply with quote

mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
# emerge --sync
You should fix this by removing /etc/make.profile. That is a very old name.
mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
rsync: [Receiver] failed to connect to gentoo-portage (45.56.94.193): No route to host (113)
This looks strange. Why does that bare name resolve to a public IP address, which then fails to route properly?
mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
You should fix this, too.
mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
You should read your news. It is usually important.
mgnut57 wrote:
Searching the /etc/ directory for gentoo-portage does not show any current files that point to this host:
Code:
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.conf:sync-uri = rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
/etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.noconf:sync-uri = rsync://gentoo-portage/gentoo-portage
Your code output disagrees with your comment. You found a place that does configure that host. Per man portage, all non-ignored files in /etc/portage/repos.conf/ are concatenated together. The name /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.noconf is not an ignored file.
mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
This is another very old name. It should be relocated to /etc/portage, or removed outright if you already have /etc/portage/make.conf.

Generally, this system looks to be very behind on maintenance.
mgnut57
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Need help changing portage repo uri Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
# emerge --sync
You should fix this by removing /etc/make.profile. That is a very old name.

The origin of this system is quite old. It originated around 2008/2009.

Quote:

mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
This looks strange. Why does that bare name resolve to a public IP address, which then fails to route properly?

What is happening is that the resolv.conf has a domain search that points to my personal domain. Previously I used a local nameserver that would resolve this to a local portage server, but then I changed my default nameserver to 1.1.1., which then made it look up the same domain on the DNS server for my external domain. The external domain has a wildcard and the lookup of the wildcard resolves to 45.56.94.193.

Quote:

mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
You should fix this, too.

Will do. It is usually files that I discard the update.
Quote:

mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
You should read your news. It is usually important.

I can read news on other systems also.
Quote:

mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
Your code output disagrees with your comment. You found a place that does configure that host. Per man portage, all non-ignored files in /etc/portage/repos.conf/ are concatenated together. The name /etc/portage/repos.conf/gentoo.noconf is not an ignored file.

I had wrongly assumed that the files needed to be named "*.conf" to be included.
Quote:

mgnut57 wrote:
Code:
This is another very old name. It should be relocated to /etc/portage, or removed outright if you already have /etc/portage/make.conf.

Generally, this system looks to be very behind on maintenance.

No so much as it appears. But, yes, I should fix these issues.

Thank you very much for your help and advice. I'll fix the entry in the "noconf" file and other issues.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: