Nvidia GPU fan excessive noise
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2024 5:07 pm    Post subject: Nvidia GPU fan excessive noise Reply with quote

My computer has an Nvidia RTX 2080 Ti GPU which has a very annoying habit of the fan going absolutely nuts when running games (e.g.: quiet, quiet, quiet, FULL SPEED SCREAMING, quiet, quiet, SCREAMING, quiet, SCREAMING, etc etc). When I used to have Windows 10 on the machine, I would keep this under control with MSI Afterburner and just set a maximum target temperature, then Afterburner would dynamically adjust the fan and other GPU parameters to keep things reasonable.

Is there any equivalent utility to do this in Gentoo, or otherwise a way to stop the fan going crazy?
jpsollie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which driver are you using? if it's the proprietary driver, I remember it has some config tool which may allow you to set some thermal limits
for the open-source driver I'm not sure whether that one already supports thermal limits.
maybe you can find a lookalike method which is being used with the amdgpu driver? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Power_management
madmin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

This thread may help:

https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/how-to-set-fanspeed-in-linux-from-terminal/72705

Cheers : )
Ralphred
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't find something that does what you want out of the box, I have an amd tailored daemon written in python - it would be trivial to change the part of it that does the actual "set fan speed to" to use the CLI tool mentioned in the topic madmin linked if you hit a wall; feel free to ask for an nvida version if that happens, and you have the time/inclination to help with testing.
Though, reading said thread creates the impression that CLI fan control is done via communication with X, so having custom fan control started as part of your DE login or "gamemode" scripts seems more appropriate?
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpsollie wrote:
which driver are you using? if it's the proprietary driver, I remember it has some config tool which may allow you to set some thermal limits
for the open-source driver I'm not sure whether that one already supports thermal limits.
maybe you can find a lookalike method which is being used with the amdgpu driver? https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/AMDGPU#Power_management

I'm using the proprietary nvidia-drivers-550.107.02-r1 at the moment. The nvidia-settings utility does let me set the fan speed, but it seems a simplistic "set target fan speed" only, with no other controls that I can find. (that's why I was asking about an MSI Afterburner equivalent). Sadly, I can't see quite the same items as described in the amdgpu article, and I don't want to poke around at random.
Armand Karlsen
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphred wrote:
If you can't find something that does what you want out of the box, I have an amd tailored daemon written in python - it would be trivial to change the part of it that does the actual "set fan speed to" to use the CLI tool mentioned in the topic madmin linked if you hit a wall; feel free to ask for an nvida version if that happens, and you have the time/inclination to help with testing.
Though, reading said thread creates the impression that CLI fan control is done via communication with X, so having custom fan control started as part of your DE login or "gamemode" scripts seems more appropriate?

By all means, I'd be happy to have a look at an nvidia version :) I don't have a "gamemode" setup as such, but I would at least like to have something that just sits in the background to more smoothly apply the fan, rather than those annoying fan spikes.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: