Chrooting while setting up disk encryption
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NP_complete
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 6:33 am    Post subject: Chrooting while setting up disk encryption Reply with quote

I am using the latest minimal-install USB and following the Full Disk Encryption Guide. This guide, supposedly, integrates well into Gentoo Handbook's workflow. The section on Dracut, however, starts with the warning:
Quote:
This configuration should be done while chrooted, or on a live system.
But how exactly should this chrooting be done? Indeed, in the Handbook, chrooting does not come until much later, and many of the directories (e.g. /mnt/gentoo/proc) do not even exist this early on. Clearly, we are talking about a custom chroot here, different from the one in the Handbook.

Many thanks.
wanne
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Guide is a little bit confusing, since it tries to handle serveral scenarios at once. Migration, new installation, with different Kernels and Boot loaders.

If you are following the "Installing Gentoo" guide you have to integrate steps 4-6 into the steps 15-18. 3 into 32, 7 into 31 and 2 somewhere between 24 and 44.
Sounds complicated but it isn't: Just follow the order of the installation guide and when you are at partitioning, you have to fallow the partitioning order. When you are at the initramfs stuff you have to fallow the initramfs stuff...

Btw: dracut seems to have trouble with a lot of configurations including encrypted disks. I recommend using UGRD.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: