ERROR: systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev failed to start
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 4:07 am    Post subject: ERROR: systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev failed to start Reply with quote

This is an error during boot. I don't see anything logged in any logs (boot, system, messages), so I can't capture it in full. This is transcribed:
Code:
vm': No such process
/usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/static-nodes-permissions.conf:20: Failed to resolve group 'k 
vm': No such process
 * ERROR: systemd-tmpfiles-setup-dev failed to start
It seems to produce similar messages for each of the 'kvm' lines (there are more, but they disappear too quickly):
Code:
$ cat -n /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/static-nodes-permissions.conf
     1  #  This file is part of systemd.
     2  #
     3  #  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
     4  #  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
     5  #  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
     6  #  (at your option) any later version.
     8  # This file adds permissions on top of static-nodes.conf generated by
     9  # kmod-static-nodes.service. Rules specified here should match the
    10  # permissions specified for udev in 50-udev-default.rules.
    12  z /dev/snd/seq      0660 - audio -
    13  z /dev/snd/timer    0660 - audio -
    14  z /dev/loop-control 0660 - disk  -
    15  z /dev/net/tun      0666 - -     -   
    16  z /dev/fuse         0666 - -     -   
    17  z /dev/vfio/vfio    0666 - -     -   
    18  z /dev/kvm          0666 - kvm -
    19  z /dev/vhost-net    0666 - kvm -
    20  z /dev/vhost-vsock  0666 - kvm -
No, the group does not exist.

kvm isn't a historically standard group as far as I know, so it shouldn't be required.

Can the error be silenced, or is that a limitation of openrc?

Separately, it seems like it should be logged to boot. Other openrc stuff is logged.

EDIT: This has been happening for a while, though I mostly ignored it.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This group would be created by installing acct-group/kvm. I see that /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/static-nodes-permissions.conf is owned by sys-apps/systemd-utils, and installed when USE=tmpfiles is true. I see that acct-group/kvm is an RDEPEND when USE=udev is true. Did you install sys-apps/systemd-utils with USE="-udev tmpfiles"? If yes, this seems like a bug. I think that the configuration file ought to be installed only when the group is also brought in via RDEPEND (or conversely that the group ought to be brought in via RDEPEND whenever the file is installed).
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that USE issue:
Code:
[ebuild   R    ] sys-apps/systemd-utils-254.17::gentoo  USE="acl kmod (split-usr) tmpfiles udev -boot -kernel-install -secureboot (-selinux) -sysusers -test -ukify" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python3_12 -python3_10 -python3_11" 0 KiB
It didn't occur to me until after I verified it wasn't the USE issue, but this is leftover from when I was blocking the then new acct-user, -group stuff. I had been allowing some periodically to monitor and apparently forgot about them.

kvm seems like an odd requirement, but oh well. This should be resolved. I'll update when I get a chance to confirm.

Thanks for helping identify where I left that trap. :)

EDIT:

Interesting that after installing the group, this is the output:
Code:
LOG: preinst
Group kvm already exists

EDIT 2:

That was on the wrong computer. On the correct computer, it installed as expected:
Code:
LOG: preinst
Adding group kvm

Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a bit odd, but this is (probably) another case where it was easier to add the group on systems that don't strictly need it than to maintain a patch to prevent upstream trying to use the group. I have not checked into the history, but since the shown file controls other non-KVM things, I could believe that the Gentoo maintainer had to choose between maintaining a custom conf file (or patch to it) versus adding a sometimes unnecessary group. If the file had been exclusive to kvm, it would've been easier to make its installation conditional. Even there, Gentoo practice has tended toward allowing small non-disruptive files even when they are useless (e.g. systemd units on an openrc system) to avoid the need to rebuild the package later just to get the file when the user decides it is useful and necessary.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I no longer really question the why when it is systemd related. I don't blame the Getoo dev for that choice, it just seemed completely unrelated. Had it been a group that seemed relevant, maybe I would have realized the cause. I presume I would have tried to manually install the acct-group and noticed an error.

Anyway, after some updates I should be able to verify it is fixed.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: