Gentoo in Hyper-V (Win11) *Gen 2* VM for testing, more
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johngalt
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2024 11:53 pm    Post subject: Gentoo in Hyper-V (Win11) *Gen 2* VM for testing, more Reply with quote

Hey, all, it's been a while - I hope everyone is doing well.

I'm taking a stab at installing Gentoo into a Gen 2 VM in Windows 11 native Hyper-V. I have a few questions which I *think* I am on the right track for, but want to make sure. I've been teaching CompTIA certification classes, and want to install Gentoo in various flavors in VMs to demonstrate differences to students who have started asking some extensive questions about Linux in general and Gentoo specifically (because I can't stop talking about it lol).

The reason for VMs is that I don't have enough spare systems to run all the profiles I want to, and multi-booting is not going to cut it as it is a lot harder to show capabilities / limitations / differences side by side when you have to reboot to go to a different profile. Plus, my machine has gobs of RAM and running the 8 VMs I have planned simultaneously is not going to be a problem.

I do, however, have some questions because things have changed a bit since I last did an install, a gen 1 VM guest instance, and I see some new features and such that I really want to try out / test.

I'm taking a crack at one now, a test of sorts, to see what and where I need to do. I plan to just use EFI to boot directly, since each VM will have it's own dedicated VHD(x), and the profiles I want to use are:

1. [23] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop (stable) *
  2. [24] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/systemd (stable)
  3. [25] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/gnome (stable)
  4. [26] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/gnome/systemd (stable)
  5. [27] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma (stable)
  6. [28] default/linux/amd64/23.0/desktop/plasma/systemd (stable)
  7. [39] default/linux/amd64/23.0/llvm (stable)
  8. [40] default/linux/amd64/23.0/llvm/systemd (stable)

I have a couple questions re: EFI booting.

According to the current Hyper-V wiki, those items need to be compiled into the kernel - does this preclude that I do a completely manual kernel config and compile?

Along with that, if I want to make the VMs Secure Boot enabled, that means I need to make the key(s) via OpenSSL and set them up according to signed kernel modules section with whichever method I end up using, right? [/list][/list]
If you want to retain credibility as a functional adult; when you are told that you are acting boorishly, the correct response is to consider that possibility and act accordingly to correct that behavior.

Amen.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: