Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How to avoid creating /boot/vmlinuz-X.Y.Z.old files?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattemod
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 3:22 pm    Post subject: How to avoid creating /boot/vmlinuz-X.Y.Z.old files? Reply with quote

Hello,
I currently use sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel and I'd like to know how I can avoid copying/generating the .old files in /boot (vmlinuz, initramfs, System.map) when I either (re)install a kernel or emerge --configure it.

I know perfectly well that it'd be better to keep them as a fallback in case something goes wrong, but - without going into details - I'm currently in a situation where I need the newly generated files to overwrite the old ones without the .old files being copied/created at all.

I don't know if it's related to Installkernel or Dracut or /etc/kernel/ or what else: I tried to search for it but couldn't find anything definitive, maybe I don't know the right keywords.

Some info:
  • I don't use Systemd.
  • sys-kernel/installkernel and sys-kernel/dracut are installed, while sys-kernel/genkernel isn't.
  • (After reading man 8 installkernel) /usr/lib/kernel/install.conf obviously exists, while /etc/kernel/install.conf doesn't. I can't find a list of possible options anywhere to see if there's one about .old files.
  • /etc/kernel/ doesn't contain any files, it only contains the directories install.d, postinst.d and preinst.d with the .keep_sys-kernel_installkernel-0 files.
  • grep -Ri .old /usr/lib/kernel/ doesn't give me any related results, so I don't know where the copy is performed.

Tell me if you need to know anything else.

Could you help me and maybe also give me some reference link(s) to read/study?

Thanks
AndrewAmmerlaan
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2024 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Install sys-kernel/installkernel with the systemd flag enabled, that implementation does not create .old files (this does not require systemd itself, the dependency is available via sys-apps/systemd-utils).

Traditional installkernel (USE=-systemd) always creates the .old backup files.

Quote:
I'm currently in a situation where I need the newly generated files to overwrite the old ones without the .old files being copied/created at all.

You may also be able to do what you want by creating the vmlinuz, initramfs etc symlinks (without a version) pointing to the latest versioned kernel, initramfs. Both installkernel implementations will automatically update these versionless symlinks/copies if they are present.

Quote:
so I don't know where the copy is performed.

In /sbin/installkernel (this code is not in a plugin/hook): https://github.com/projg2/installkernel-gentoo/blob/7e537f874c5ecc0c849b07c0233935ae7ffe9e68/installkernel#L61
GPU: Intel Arc A770 16GB & Intel UHD Graphics 630
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32GB DDR4-2400
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: