Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
revdep-rebuild - Still useful / recommended?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amauk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 8:49 pm    Post subject: revdep-rebuild - Still useful / recommended? Reply with quote

Non-support question. Just curious.

Running revdep-rebuild is just part of my update process,
but I can't for the life of me remember when it last picked anything up.
Any rebuilds needed seem to be picked up and handled by portage itself.

Was just wondering if running revdep-rebuild as part of a usual update process is still useful / recommended.

What I don't want is to get into a situation where I'm running deprecated / discouraged stuff because I wasn't paying attention.

Ta
CaptainBlood
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is required when emerge requires to do so.

It is true that some of such package rebuilds are done automagically.
But only because their ebuilds have directive(s) causing automatic rebuild under some circumstances.

Not all ebuilds are complete in this respect.

As long as you don't revdep-rebuild when requested, some former version of software will remain in the system, although newer is installed.
Each former version will be deleted as soon as all their revdep-rebuild counterpart(s) have been rebuild (against the latest version).

revdep-rebuild can be tested with -p(retend) e.g. to check how much work it will cause.

The rebuild(a) can be achieve at atomic level.
The order of the rebuild may be important to care of.

Thks 4 ur attention, interest & support.
pietinger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This tool is obsolete and "it's also considered a bug if a package relies on this" says our developer @Ionen here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8686939.html#8686939
amauk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pietinger wrote:
This tool is obsolete and "it's also considered a bug if a package relies on this" says our developer @Ionen here:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8686939.html#8686939

Noted.
Many thanks
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaptainBlood wrote:
It is true that some of such package rebuilds are done automagically.
But only because their ebuilds have directive(s) causing automatic rebuild under some circumstances.
I don't think this is correct. The preserved-rebuild feature handles this automatically, without ebuild directives. Perhaps you are thinking of subslot dependencies, which are used in an ebuild to force a rebuild when one is needed, but the soname does not indicate such.
CaptainBlood wrote:
As long as you don't revdep-rebuild when requested, some former version of software will remain in the system, although newer is installed.
revdep-rebuild finds cases where a consuming library is linked to a non-present provider. If the former version remained installed, revdep-rebuild would not flag the consuming package as broken, and would do nothing.
Ionen
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2024 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add more, haven't used Gentoo for *that* long, but in the 6 years I've used it I haven't ran revdep-rebuild even once and all my systems are fine :) I know it used to be needed some time before that, but that was a long time ago.

That tool is also hardly maintained as it can be noted by the long list of open bugs:
https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=revdep-rebuild

Arguably it should be dropped entirely, albeit could have some obscure use cases even if not needed per se and it been left alone for now. Won't push for its removal, but if someone wants to I wouldn't object.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: