Where to Put CPU_FLAGS_* ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 4:44 pm    Post subject: Where to Put CPU_FLAGS_* ? Reply with quote

The current handbook has CPU_FLAGS_* going into a package.use file, the wiki make.conf page says either make.conf or a package.use file, people posting their make.conf's in fgo are still using make.conf ...

Is there a benefit to CPU_FLAGS_* flags being in a package.use file over make.conf? If so, what would it be?

I've spent a few hours looking about for this and am missing it, if it is discussed somewhere.

Thanks.
rab0171610
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it is worth all this time and effort tying to find an ideal place for it. You state you spent a few hours looking for an answer to whether or not there is a benefit to putting it in one place or another. Per:
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/CPU_FLAGS_*
Code:
root #echo "*/* $(cpuid2cpuflags)" > /etc/portage/package.use/00cpu-flags

Why not just follow the instructions and leave it at that? I prefer to keep make.conf as lean and minimal as possible including avoiding redundant global use flags that are enabled by the profile or per package in package.use.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The developers make global use declarations in the profile.

The users make global use declarations in the make.conf file.

The users make persistent per-package use declarations in a package.use file, or in individual files in the package.use directory.

The users make non-persistent per-package use declarations on the command line invocation of emerge.

The */* turns a package.use file into a global declaration.

I was hoping to discover why a global declaration was now being added to a file or directory which before has been used for per-package declarations, and not the file that has historically contained global declarations.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: