View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schievel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 10:23 pm    Post subject: AMD gpu acting up on me Reply with quote

Hey folks,

I am not really sure if this is in the right subforum, as I am not even sure what I am dealing with here.

Last year I bought a AMD R9 285, before I had a nvidia GPU. I plugged it in and my OpenRC Gentoo bootet up. For several monhs it was working fine. I put VIDEO_CARDS="amdgpu radionsi" into make.conf and did a emerge -avuDN --with-bdeps=y @world
Then the trouble began. I have three monitors connected to the GPU, one on HDMI and two on DVI.
- For some reasons sometimes hyprland only outputs to one screen. It still detects the other monitors and expands the desktop to them like they were there, but the monitors stay off. (and I mean off, not just black. They switch off like the PC went into suspend) Before login into hyprland they work fine in GDM. They also work fine in tty and grub.
After a few reboots they work again.
- I can not log out of hyprland and go back to gdm, as then the screen also suspends. (all three this time)
- I can not log into gnome on wayland, then GDM just freezez, strangely enough I can hit CTRL-C and end up in GDM again
- I can not log into gnome on X. That is, I can but all screens become black. But there is a mouse pointer I can move around and I get a desktop notification.

Regarding hyprland I am completely lost. Regarding gnome I deleted ./local/share/gnome-shell/* and /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions in case there is a extension that is causing this. But this didn't help.

I don't have an idea where to start really. Maybe gnome as hyprland is that obscure and shaky, that the problem could be on their side.
I also don't know if these problems are interconnected somehow or if they are separate things.

So heres is a syslog when I try starting gnome wayland.
https://pastebin.com/izBJtUvY
I am using sddm instead of gdm right now, in case someone is wondering.

I also noticed that when I am in hyprland (and I also tested it in weston just now) and run some wayland apps I built myself (e.g. the simple-egl.c app in westons examples) they get a segfault. This would explain all the `exited with status 1` in the syslog above. But why do the other apps that were built by emerge like firefox and alacritty work?
Schievel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2024 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The segfault also happens with a simple program I write myself that is supposed to draw a black window and exit.
For both, the simple-egl example and my program it happens after the call to wl_shell_get_shell_surface inside the wayland-client library.
At this call both shell and surface aren’t null, so I think there is something wrong with the library.

Tomorrow I am going to try downgrading
Schievel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I think these are separate problems.
Gnome doesn’t work on X as well as Wayland, yet I tried xfce (on X) and it works perfectly fine.
The screens work fine as well, so I guess that issue with two screens not working is on hyprland.

The segfaults are related to programs that use wl_shell instead of xdg_shell protocol. I think wl_shell is just not supported by all compositors anymore. (Which is strange that even Weston as the reference implementation doesn’t support it but idk about the details of wayland development that much)

I am not that keen on gnome, it’s just my fallback when hyprland doesn’t want to work. I am fine with xfce here.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: