Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Experiences with removing Xorg server on Wayland setup?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagmat84
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:55 am    Post subject: Experiences with removing Xorg server on Wayland setup? Reply with quote

I migrated from Plasma/KDE 5 on X11 to Plase/KDE6 with Wayland. I also went the whole way and run SDDM in a Wayland session on top of KWin. (See https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/SDDM#KDE_Plasma_/_KWin.) I am wondering if it is possible to remove x11-base/xorg-server, x11-base/xorg-drivers and x11-drivers/* without breaking anything. I still new to run some non-Wayland-native application via the XWayland abstraction layer. Hence, I know that it won't be possible to get rid of all X libraries. But that is fine. I am just considering the idea to get rid of X11 as much as practically doable and sensible.

Has anybody any experiences with that? What needs to be done?

I had a quick look at the dependency graph on my system and it seems that x11-base/xorg-server is required by the following packages
Code:
media-libs/libglvnd               (X ? x11-base/xorg-server[xvfb])
www-client/firefox                (X ? x11-base/xorg-server[xvfb])
x11-base/xorg-drivers             (input_devices_libinput ? >=x11-base/xorg-server-21.1[udev])
                                  (video_cards_intel ? >=x11-base/xorg-server-21.1[-minimal])
x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput   (>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.20[xorg])
                                  (x11-base/xorg-server)
x11-drivers/xf86-video-amdgpu     (x11-base/xorg-server[-minimal])
                                  (>=x11-base/xorg-server-1.20[xorg])
x11-drivers/xf86-video-ati        (x11-base/xorg-server[-minimal])
x11-drivers/xf86-video-intel      (x11-base/xorg-server[-minimal])
x11-misc/sddm                     (X ? x11-base/xorg-server)
The drivers depend on the server, but that is expected. SDDM and Firefox have an X use flag, but both packages also support Wayland explicitly. So I guess, those applications should be fine, if compiled without X support. But then there is "media-libs/libglvnd" which requires xorg-server, if the X use flag is enabled. And there is a ton of other packages which use the X use flag. I assume that globally disabling the X use will fire back on me. Packages seem to use the X use flag in thee different ways:
  • (End-user) applications which use the X use flag to be run on top of X, but which are also happy with Wayland (such as SDDM, Firefox, LibreOffice, etc.)
  • Libraries which use the X use flag to enable support for the X server but which is meaningless, if no X server is actually running
  • Libraries which use the X use flag to provide X support for X application and which are still needed for XWayland
Only for the latter category, the X use flag is needed on a "pure" Wayland installation. (As pure as it gets.)

So my question basically boils down whether anybody has already investigated which packages still actually need the X use flag such that there is no loss of functionality under Wayland/XWayland.
dmpogo
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is not that much if anything that needs X server, which Xwayland can provide a simulation of, but many packages need X libraries
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: