firefox 131.0.2 and Error 102630
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:15 pm    Post subject: firefox 131.0.2 and Error 102630 Reply with quote

Hello All

I am using gentoo (kernel 6.6.51) and firefox-bin 131.0.2.

Some time ago (a week or more, I do not remember) I updated my system, which updated my firefox-bin application to 131.0.2. After that I was receiving an error when trying to view video files (streaming video). The browser is working fine on youtube video's, but when it comes to other streaming sites I was getting an error as below.

Quote:
This video file cannot be played.(Error Code: 102630)

I am able to watch videos from the same streaming video site with chrome and opera browsers. I was suspecting that some codecs were messed up after the system update/upgrade.

According to https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1668196, ffmpeg must have been installed on the system. When I checked the installed packages, media-video/ffmpeg was not installed, although media-videp/ffmpeg-chromium was installed.

I do remember that firefox version prior to 131 was able to display the videos from that site. I also do remember that I had ffmpeg installed at some point, but maybe it was removed at some point (But this I can not say for sure).

Anyways, after I have installed the media-video/ffmpeg package, firefox-bin was able to play the videos.

I wanted write this message (did not know where I could write this) so that maybe someone runs into such a problem and they can correct the problem.

If those things need to be reported, and If somebody can point me in the correct direction, I will do that.

Regards
Riza
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is expected, media-video/ffmpeg was moved to opt-feature starting with 129.0 so it's no longer pulled as dependency.
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeckwrk99 wrote:
This is expected, media-video/ffmpeg was moved to opt-feature starting with 129.0 so it's no longer pulled as dependency.

Do we need to have define a use flag in the make.conf in order to get ffmpeg installed, when installing firefox-bin?

Regards
eeckwrk99
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:
eeckwrk99 wrote:

Do we need to have define a use flag in the make.conf in order to get ffmpeg installed, when installing firefox-bin?

Regards

There is no USE flag for www-client/firefox-bin that would pull media-video/ffmpeg.

As far as I'm concerned, media-video/ffmpeg is a dependency for many of my packages so I don't have anything to do, it's pulled automatically.
If it's not your case, you can install it explicitly so that it gets added to your world set. This way, it won't be accidentally uninstalled after an # emerge --depclean.

You can check what packages depend on it with either:

Code:
# equery comes with app-portage/gentoolkit
% equery depends media-video/ffmpeg

or

Code:
# emerge -pvc media-video/ffmpeg

I'd be surprised that you don't have any package that depend on it if you're using a desktop profile, but that's still possible I guess.
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeckwrk99 wrote:
rzdndr wrote:
eeckwrk99 wrote:

Regards

There is no USE flag for www-client/firefox-bin that would pull media-video/ffmpeg.

As far as I'm concerned, media-video/ffmpeg is a dependency for many of my packages so I don't have anything to do, it's pulled automatically.
If it's not your case, you can install it explicitly so that it gets added to your world set. This way, it won't be accidentally uninstalled after an # emerge --depclean.

You can check what packages depend on it with either:

Code:
# equery comes with app-portage/gentoolkit
% equery depends media-video/ffmpeg

or

Code:
# emerge -pvc media-video/ffmpeg

I'd be surprised that you don't have any package that depend on it if you're using a desktop profile, but that's still possible I guess.

When I did a emerge --ask --depclean it did not report any packages to be removed. But when I did emerge -pvc media-video/ffmpeg it reported that it will remove the package. That is odd. Isn't emerge --ask --depclean the same as emerge -pvc. When I did run emerge --ask --verbose --pretend --depclean this also did not report anything to remove.

The other thing is this. when I ran equery depends media-video/ffmpeg it reported 3 packages that depend on it. Here is the output

Code:

equery depends media-video/ffmpeg
 * These packages depend on media-video/ffmpeg:
media-libs/gegl-0.4.48 (ffmpeg ? media-video/ffmpeg:0)
                       (ffmpeg ? media-video/ffmpeg:0)
media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.2.7.1-r1 (ffmpeg ? media-video/ffmpeg:0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?])
                                      (ffmpeg ? media-video/ffmpeg:0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?])
www-client/opera-114.0.5282.86 (!ffmpeg-chromium ? >=media-video/ffmpeg-6.1-r1:0/58.60.60[chromium])

This is really odd. Since the alsa-plugins package is installed, how did ffmpeg get tossed away. Interesting...

The other thing is that the equery command above did print ffmpeg in red. Could not find anything relating to the colors in the man equery.

Regards
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rzdndr wrote:
When I did a emerge --ask --depclean it did not report any packages to be removed. But when I did emerge -pvc media-video/ffmpeg it reported that it will remove the package. That is odd. Isn't emerge --ask --depclean the same as emerge -pvc. When I did run emerge --ask --verbose --pretend --depclean this also did not report anything to remove.
emerge -pvc is short for emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean. Your oddity is that you missed the final paragraph in man emerge regarding --depclean:
Code:
              Depclean serves as a dependency aware version of --unmerge. When
              given  one  or more atoms, it will unmerge matched packages that
              have no  reverse  dependencies.  Use  --depclean  together  with
              --verbose to show reverse dependencies.
Therefore, emerge -pc can return no results if every installed package is either in @world or required (recursively) by one that is. emerge -pc package can return a result if package is in @world, but is otherwise unnecessary on the system.
rzdndr wrote:
The other thing is this. when I ran equery depends media-video/ffmpeg it reported 3 packages that depend on it.
equery depends is notorious for confusing users, because it does not resolve active USE flags, and leaves that to you. Use emerge -pvc package instead.
rzdndr wrote:
Code:
media-plugins/alsa-plugins-1.2.7.1-r1 (ffmpeg ? media-video/ffmpeg:0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?])
                                      (ffmpeg ? media-video/ffmpeg:0[abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?])
This is really odd. Since the alsa-plugins package is installed, how did ffmpeg get tossed away.
Is alsa-plugins installed with USE=ffmpeg enabled?
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
rzdndr wrote:
emerge -pvc is short for emerge --pretend --verbose --depclean. Your oddity is that you missed the final paragraph in man emerge regarding --depclean:
Code:
              Depclean serves as a dependency aware version of --unmerge. When
              given  one  or more atoms, it will unmerge matched packages that
              have no  reverse  dependencies.  Use  --depclean  together  with
              --verbose to show reverse dependencies.
Therefore, emerge -pc can return no results if every installed package is either in @world or required (recursively) by one that is. emerge -pc package can return a result if package is in @world, but is otherwise unnecessary on the system.
rzdndr wrote:
The other thing is this. when I ran equery depends media-video/ffmpeg it reported 3 packages that depend on it.
equery depends is notorious for confusing users, because it does not resolve active USE flags, and leaves that to you. Use emerge -pvc package instead.
rzdndr wrote:
Code:
This is really odd. Since the alsa-plugins package is installed, how did ffmpeg get tossed away.
Is alsa-plugins installed with USE=ffmpeg enabled?

My alsa-plugins is not installed with USE=ffmpeg (I think).

Quote:

emerge --info media-plugins/alsa-plugins | grep ffmpeg
USE="mix pulseaudio usb_stream -arcam_av -debug -ffmpeg -jack -libsamplerate -oss -speex" ABI_X86="(64) -32 (-x32)"

Would that be correct?

Regards
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct, you have that flag disabled, so alsa-plugins does not require ffmpeg on your system.
rzdndr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2024 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hu wrote:
Correct, you have that flag disabled, so alsa-plugins does not require ffmpeg on your system.

Alsa-plugins works find I believe, on the system. Because I have audio.

The output of equery depends media-video/ffmpeg does list dependencies using questions marks. According to https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Equery#Listing_all_packages_depending_on_a_package_with_depends_.28d.29 this is an optional dependency.

Quote:

Note
This output will include optional dependencies governed by USE flags, i.e. acl USE in (acl ? >=sys-fs/udev-146-r1) above, even if that USE flag is not active. A package would only be a dependency if that USE flag is active.

So does that mean, if I do not add the ffmpeg use flag to my /etc/portage/make.conf, the next depclean will not remove this from the world packages (I had installed ffmpeg with emerge to test if that would resolve my problem). Since this is a dependency (altough an optional dependency) I would assume that it will not remove that from @world. Would this reasoning be correct?

Or should I be including ffmpeg to my /etc/portage/make.conf and do an emerge -auUDv --with-bdeps=y @world?

Regards
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: