Howto make an old PC function as a Home NAS
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsnfunky
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:22 am    Post subject: Howto make an old PC function as a Home NAS Reply with quote

Hi,

As the question describes, the aim is to get an old PC function as a home NAS to which the following can be connected:

1) TVs for playing media saved on HDDs
2) Mobile Phones
3) Linux / Windows PCs / Laptops to access and save data
4) If possible access this data from net using a VPN

I was reading this article: https://www.xda-developers.com/how-turn-old-pc-into-nas/

This was on TrueNAS and I understand that it requires one dedicated disk to boot.

My Aim:
1) Have the same features like TrueNAS but using a gentoo box. Can also make it dual boot with Windows and connect to a TV (Functions as a PC in another room).

2) Install Softwares like:
a) Nextcloud for working like Google Photos and backup
b) Jellyfin for Media Server - Will this also fuction as a DLNA for playing media on home smart TV?
c) Any google drive alternative for auto back android devices and whatsapp backups
d) Any other softwares which can be recommended?
d) How to get secure access from the internet.

3) I can connect to this old PC NAS, all the internal and external HDDs that I have and these will be availabe whenever I am at home and that too from any device on the wifi.
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a plan.
What's the actual problem though? You're unlikely to get a full-blown custom guide, just ask specific questions once you get stuck on something.

Quote:
c) Any google drive alternative for auto back android devices and whatsapp backups

Can you even use an alternative server to backup android devices?
Quote:
d) Any other softwares which can be recommended?
This tells me you're on a hype train. You're trying to do way too much in one go.
A NAS is essentially not that different from any other installation, even though it is typically intended to be a very minimal, light-weight installation, just enough to expose some disk space via NFS, SMF and FTP. You're builing a custom solution for personal use, so even those rules don't apply, since you're defining your NAS by function rather than a software stack.
Basically, you'll cross that bridge when you need to, there's no point thinking about it in advance.
Quote:
d) How to get secure access from the internet.

Depends on how you are connected to the internet in the first place, and what do you understand by "access from the internet" and what do you consider "secure"
Most people are behind NATs and would need a VPN. The implementation will vary depending on the things one line above.
lars_the_bear
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine that any Linux distribution would be capable of providing basic NAS functions. It really depends on the amount of set-up you want to do. I don't think using Gentoo here would offer an advantage over any other distribution -- there would still be a lot of set-up. I guess that's where platforms like TrueNAS score: they'll do most of the basic stuff with little additional set-up. My understanding is that TrueNAS can only be installed on a complete drive, but storage is cheap, and you could still dual-boot by using the PC's BIOS to select a drive to boot from (rather that, say, using multiple partitions on the same disk).

But I fear that you might soon get fed up with the constant fan noise and poor energy-efficiency. In my view, it's only worth using PC-type hardware for NAS if you plan to run more CPU-intensive stuff on it as well. Otherwise it's a waste of resources. Just my $0.02, of course.

BR, Lars.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Build on what you know works. Add thigs so you know what breaks. :)
and can back it out.

Start with NFS as that's fairly simple to make work.
Add Samba for the Windows systems.

Do not install everything you think you need and tell us it's not working.
We already know that. :)
The idea is to keep the problem space small, so it's easy to diagnose and fix.

Actually the order you add bits is not important. It's the one at a time that matters.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: