View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Seeking advise on KDE Reply with quote

Hi,

I like to test out KDE, I currently have GNOME desktop, my profile is default/linux/arm64/23.0/desktop/gnome/systemd.

I would like to stay in GNOME desktop.

I read the Gentoo wiki KDE. I think I don't have to install Plasma am I right about this?

Can I just install selected KDE Gear meta packages? or everything have to install together?

Can KDE Gear coexist with GNOME at rum time?

I understand I can just test it. but just wonder if there are some known restriction/limitation I should aware before plunge in to the build process.
Ralphred
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't used gnome for a long time, but kde always coexists with it on the ubuntu laptops I punt out the door.
I think you're biggest issue will be to rebuild stuff with "kde enabled" use flags. Personally, I'd switch profile, then run emerge --info to get a lowdown on what the devs like to set as default USE for the kde profile (so you can suck in as many binpackages as feesible) then switch back to my normal profile w/o any updates etc.

If you install kde-plasma/plasma-meta that will get you a "working desktop".
Beyond that eix kde*meta gives a good idea of the sort of packages that will be pulled in by the kde-apps/kde[something]-meta packages.
For a "decent desktop experience" I'd pull in kdeutils-meta and kdecore-meta at least. PIM is pretty heavy, kontact is basically "open outlook" with it's own mini server and sql database, but it's pretty solid considering. If there are little ones around the edu and games metas will keep them quiet for minutes at a time. The other metas are basically self explanatory.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2024 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralphred,

Thank you very much for your pointers.

Currently I feel quite comfortable with GNOME. so I really want to stay with it.

My reason with KDE is previous I have a long threads about qt6/wayland discussion. which made me think I want to know what is KDE is all about.

I am no ARM (aarch64) and my plan is to rebuild everything from scratch with portage point to 2024-10-15.

So currently I selected
  • kde-apps/kdeadmin-meta
  • kde-apps/kdecore-meta
  • kde-apps/kdeedu-meta
  • kde-apps/kdegames-meta
  • kde-apps/kdegraphics-meta
  • kde-apps/kdemultimedia-meta
  • kde-apps/kdenetwork-meta
  • kde-apps/kdeutils-meta

Next step is create mask to filter out redundant application (I mean app have same function)

I will keep your suggestion in mind.

Thanks.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: