ebuild selected require cpu_flags_x86_see2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yookoala
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:05 am    Post subject: ebuild selected require cpu_flags_x86_see2 Reply with quote

I'm trying to install Gentoo on an old laptop.

I have arrived at the step to run grub-install and it failed. Turns out the grub installation was not successful. Through out the installation process, I think I missed several signs that some previous step has failed.

If I read the error correctly, it says something like "because some of my selected package requires rust, and rust needs my CPU to support SSE2, the installation fails."

So my questions are:

• How do I unselect packages that cause the installation problem(s)?
  • I can do my installation without GNOME. Is there a way I can install a systemd-boot setup without rust?
  • If I cannot use systemd, then how do I revert my installation enough for a sysinitv installation without redo all my installation procedures?

Contexts:

If I now run:
Code:

emerge --ask --verbose @world

I will get these error messages:
Code:

!!!  The ebuild selected to satisfy "~dev-lang/rust-bin-1.80.1[profiler?,rustfmt?abi_x86_32(-)?,abi_x86_64(-)?,abi_x86_x32(-)?,abi_mips_n32(-)?,abi_mips_n64(-)?,abi_mips_o32(-)?,abi_s390_32(-)?,abi_s390_64(-)?]" has unmet requirements.
- dev-lang/rust-bin-1.80.1:gentoo USE="(-big-endian) -clippy -doc (-prefix) -profiler) -rust-analyzer -rust-src -rustfmt -verify-sig" CPU_FLAGS_X86="-sse2"

The following REQUIRED_USE flag constraints are unsatisfied:
    x86? ( cpu_flags_x86_sse2 )

(dependency required by "virtual/rust-1.80.1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-base/librsvg-2.57.3::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-themes/adwaita-icon-themes-45.0::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "x11-libs/gtk+-3.24.41-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "gnome-extra/polkit-gnome-0.105-r2::gentoo" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-auth/polkit-124-r1::gentoo[gtk]" [ebuild])
(dependency required by "sys-apps/systemd-25.11::gentoo[policykit]" [ebuild])
fedeliallalinea
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is the gnome-base/librsvg package that requires rust to compile, but there are other packages that may require rust.
You can install the precompiled dev-lang/rust-bin instead of dev-lang/rust.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums.

Unfortunately, even rust-bin requires SSE2. This is a known issue upstream, which the Rust project refuses to fix. They only provide rust compilers that require SSE2. I think some users (possibly eccerr0r?) have managed to get a no-SSE2 Rust to build, but it requires some special work. Avoiding Rust entirely on no-SSE2 systems is probably the path of less frustration. A quick search for rust sse2 x86 leads me to https://docs.rs/safe_arch which claims:
https://docs.rs/safe_arch wrote:
you'd need a super old x86 CPU for it to not support at least sse and sse2 , so they're a safe bet for the language to enable all the time.
I leave it to the reader whether that is really a safe bet. The second hit is https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Rust_x86_without_SSE2, which looks promising, though I have never tried it.

Before embarking on any of that, OP, are you sure your CPU doesn't support SSE2? The Portage message only says you did not tell Portage that it can use SSE2. You might (or might not) be able to grant it that permission and have everything work. If unsure, please tell us exactly what CPU you have. The output of cat /proc/cpuinfo (limited to the first block) should suffice.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: