Trying to get distcc to work for cross-compiling
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
juliedeville
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 3:45 pm    Post subject: Trying to get distcc to work for cross-compiling Reply with quote

Hello,

I followed these instructions https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-8844162.html#8844162 to setup distcc on two machines. I am not getting any useful errors or logs, and it does not appear to be compiling on both. Networking is setup, and I am able to ssh into the helper machine. I believe I had it working earlier, because I saw messages when merging a package, but it might have been when I was merging distcc itself.

I am not sure where I went wrong, any assistance is appreciated.
pingtoo
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wish help from other, don't let other guessing :) You have yet sharing anything for us to start understand what is the problem. All we know is from your statement distcc is not working.

Please use the terminology in the linked post, show us what does it mean
Quote:
it does not appear to be compiling on both

What kind of machines both are?

What is cross compile target?

How cross compile tool chain setup?

Using your posted link as example, tell us the setup so we can have place to start. Don't expect everybody read through the link content.
juliedeville
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, haha

One is a thinkpad t450s with an Intel i7-5600u, and one is an asus prebuilt desktop with an intel i7-7700

The target is the thinkpad

The profile on both machines is default/linux/amd64/23.0/hardened

I am still learning about tool chains
juliedeville
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I added the line CC="distcc" to make.conf on the target, and before that, I tested to make sure distcc itself was working by writing a c program and compiling using distcc, and it worked, so it seems the issue is was just getting it to work with portage. Now, I get this error when running emerge

Code:
compiling source in /var/tmp/portage/app-text/tree-2.1.1-r1/work/unix-tree-2.1.1 ...
make -j9 -l5 CC=distcc 'CFLAGS=-O2 -pipe  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1
-Wl,--as-needed -Wl,-z,pack-relative-relocs'
distcc -O2 -pipe  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -c -o tree.o tree.c
distcc -O2 -pipe  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -c -o list.o list.c
distcc -O2 -pipe  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -c -o hash.o hash.c
distcc[27] (dcc_talk_to_include_server) Warning: INCLUDE_SERVER_PORT not set - did you forget to run under 'pump'?
distcc[27] (dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: failed to get includes from include server, preprocessing locally
distcc -O2 -pipe  -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE -D_LARGEFILE64_SOURCE -c -o color.o color.c
distcc[28] (dcc_talk_to_include_server) Warning: INCLUDE_SERVER_PORT not set - did you forget to run under 'pump'?
distcc[28] (dcc_build_somewhere) Warning: failed to get includes from include server, preprocessing locally

I am not sure where to set "INCLUDE_SERVER_PORT"
juliedeville
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have got it now. I had the hosts file on the target set to "192.166.7.79,cpp, lzo." I removed "cpp," and I am no longer getting the error. I was under the impression that portage would return messages specifically for distcc at the beginning of an emerge process, and when I run "sudo distccmon-text 1" on the helper, it wasn't displaying anything in the output.

I think I have got it working now, because I can hear it compiling!
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

distccmon is run on the system needing help, not the helper.

distcc-pump has been broken for years. It needs the same (identical) include files on the helpers as the system needing help.
That allows the helpers local files to be used which saves network bandwidth.

Portage no longer supports pump mode.

Your topic title is misleading as you are not cross compiling.
Cross compiling would be using your i7 to build arm code for say, a raspberry pi.
That works too.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: