View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 11:42 am    Post subject: webp and avif profile use flags Reply with quote

While trying to find space-efficient scanned-image compression, I came across webp and avif, which IIUC will be the next great things, the first because Google says so, and the second because it's fully open source. So I was surprised that my setup didn't already include support, as neither use flag appears to be in the desktop profile. I appreciate this is both a technical impact to change a profile, and a "political" decision over what should be defaults.

FWIW I changed my make.conf USE flags (I know the new improved way is "*/* foo" in package.use, but old habits die hard, and anyway make.conf describes my system setup, so that seems a good home), and not too much recompilation.
Zucca

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avif is the image format based on av1 video codec, IIRC.

Out of interest, have you tried jpegxl?
Quote:
I am NaN! I am a man!
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zucca, thanks for the pointer to jpegxl - I'd missed that. More recompilations...

As a KDE user, it appears I also need to install dev-qt/qtimageformats to get webp support in Skanpage. It seems to be optional.

A bit of testing on scanned printed letters from my bank shows that webp and avif files are about 60-70% of the size of the jpeg for the same dpi, and slightly subjectively clearer - sharper edges to the characters. Sadly, when I used tesseract to convert the webp pages to a pdf, the images got converted to standard jpeg - I guess that's inevitable. I'll see if jpegxl changes that.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, some sizes. I'm not impressed by jpeg-xl. Looks like something in Skanpage or kimageformats is suboptimal. (Now we know why it's "XL" - extra large :-) )
This is an A4 300dpi colour scan, mostly black & white, a logo, some QR codes, the rest text, some in reverse video:
Code:
webp 403.2 Kib
avif 482.7 KiB
jpg  685.3 KiB
jxl 1007.2 Kib

<edit>
And to confound things, the cxjl lossless jpeg->jpex-xl converter halves the size, though it's still bigger than the other two, at 489.3 KiB
szatox
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2024 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Webp is already widely used on the internet, so yes, it does have a pretty good chance to be the jpg killer.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: