RFC: linux-firmware ebuild patch, include firmware filter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 3:14 am    Post subject: RFC: linux-firmware ebuild patch, include firmware filter Reply with quote

This would replace my old method that altered the upstream "truth" file. That worked for ~2 years, but as of linux-firmware-20241017, it will no longer work.

Before submitting a bug as a proposed change, I'm looking for feedback on what I should fix.

This version requires USE=savedconfig but with NO savedconfig containing a list of firmware. I suspect this isn't what would be implemented, but it's hat I could think to do with existing functionality.

Instead of the current savedconffig file, I'm using a "filter" file that contains one awk pattern per line, later used to select only the firmware to be installed to the image / live file system. This does cause the ebuild to issue the warning about "no savedconfig" file.

Nevertheless, when that condition is true (no savedconfig file) the patch next checks for the existence of the filter file. If present, it "mimics" similar functionality as the old savedconfig file method, but using the awk pattern matching on the firmware to be included.

If adopted, I expect those who maintain the ebuild would do it differently, but I'm working with the constraints of it being a new capability and my lack of knowledge about "the right way" to do things with ebuilds.

My two (tested and working) examples:
/etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware.filter:
rtl_nic/rtl8(168|411)
amd-ucode/microcode_amd(_fam16h)?.bin
/etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware.filter:
i915/kbl_
iwlwifi-8265

The ebuild patch...

I couldn't find how to refer to the savedconfig file using variables, which is similar to how I'm referencing the "filter" file, so that is hard coded. I thought that's what "${S}/${PN}.conf" did, but no.

The if block could be streamlined, but for now, I've chosen to leave the original in place and duplicate some of the settings.

Regarding the method using awk, the find output didn't like being piped to awk, so find is wrapped with redirection. My original method used an actual file in the same position, so maybe it's a requirement rather than relying on a pipe?

sed is used to strip the leading './' path characters from find's output.

It's mostly straightforward if a bit ugly.
Code:
# diff -u gentoo/sys-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20241017-r2.ebuild local/sys-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20241017-r2.ebuild
--- gentoo/sys-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20241017-r2.ebuild  2024-10-22 12:11:21.000000000 -0600
+++ local/sys-kernel/linux-firmware/linux-firmware-20241017-r2.ebuild   2024-10-25 17:10:22.186148992 -0600
@@ -284,6 +284,7 @@

local FW_OPTIONS=( "-v" )
        local files_to_keep=
+       local filter_file="/etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware.filter"

if use savedconfig; then
                if [[ -s "${S}/${PN}.conf" ]]; then
@@ -291,6 +292,14 @@
                        grep -v '^#' "${S}/${PN}.conf" 2>/dev/null > "${files_to_keep}" || die
                        [[ -s "${files_to_keep}" ]] || die "grep failed, empty config file?"
                        FW_OPTIONS+=( "--firmware-list" "${files_to_keep}" )
+               elif [[ -s "${filter_file}" ]]; then
+                       files_to_keep="${T}/files_to_keep.lst"
+                       pushd "${WORKDIR}/${P}" &>/dev/null || die
+                       awk 'NR==FNR{patterns[$1]; next} {for (p in patterns) if ($0 ~ p) print $0}' \
+                               "${filter_file}" <(find |sed -e 's:\./::') > "${files_to_keep}" || die
+                       popd &>/dev/null || die
+                       [[ -s "${files_to_keep}" ]] || die "filter failed, pattern match error?"
+                       FW_OPTIONS+=( "--firmware-list" "${files_to_keep}" )
                fi
        fi

One thing that may be useful is an example of how to test the patterns. Perhaps a separate script?
pa4wdh
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea.
Last time i took the time to decrease the number of firmware files on my system (which i admit is quite some time ago ...) i had to list the files i do not want. The problem is that i don't know what has been added or where versions have changed.
Your method seems to allow to select files i do want, which is much more useful as i know what hardware i have and which files they need. The use of patters allows to write a pattern that matches the current and future versions so you don't have to track updates manually.

My shared code repository: https://code.pa4wdh.nl.eu.org
Music, Free as in Freedom: https://www.jamendo.com
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potentially missing updates with the official method was the original motivator. Something about that just seemed very wrong.

The find statement needs to be fixed to handle files with spaces.
Hu
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Piping output from find ought to work. How did it fail for you, and what was the invocation?

You can avoid the sed by directing find to print without the leading .: find -printf '%P\n'.
Goverp
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2024 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIUC this is so far just a proposal, in which case may I add a couple of suggestions:
a) allow very simple matching by filename, though permitting more extensive if desired. (This could almost be "grep -f <patternsfile>" against tree listing of the firmware directory, but using GLOB rather than regex...
[a SMOP, perhaps just a sed replace "*" with ".*", "?" with "." and "." with "[.]"]

so valid patterns might be:
Code:
*amd_fam17h.bin
amdgpu/*
amdgpu/*polaris10*
and the
Code:
/etc/portage/savedconfig/sys-kernel/linux-firmware.filter
could be a directory and the contents merged, so I might have
linux-firmware.filter/cpu
Code:
*amd_fam17h.bin

and
linux-firmware.filter/gpu
Code:
*polaris10_*.bin

I appreciate making suggestions is so much easier than implementing them!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: