Gentoo Installation on Macbook Pro
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Balustrade
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2024 6:26 am    Post subject: Gentoo Installation on Macbook Pro Reply with quote

Hi all,

This is my first try at installing gentoo. I've been able to boot the DVD with Gentoo live once, now it refuses to boot. The computer goes through grub on the DVD, goes through a couple of boot screens, then sits on a black screen with a bar flashing in the top right hand corner. Just wondering if there is something wrong with the disc, or if I've made a silly mistake.
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2024 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo,

I'm guessing it is a pretty old MacBook Pro if you are booting from a built in dvd drive, also guessing that it is an Intel processor not Apple Silicon.

If you are booting by holding down the option key and selecting an icon for the drive to boot from, how many drives are shown, and which one are you selecting to boot?

I have a 2007 MacBook and a 2011 MacBook Pro, both Intel. My memories of booting the 2007, which has a built in dvd drive from a dvd, are vague. It has been a long time. I have booted it and the 2011 from various usb thumb drives with various live systems over the years.

There have been times where it was easier to start the boot, holding down the option key, and then when it waits while showing the icons for the drive to boot, only then inserting the drive, and it recognizes the newly inserted drive. Then choose the newly appeared drive to boot.

Some live systems will show up as two bootable drive icons, only one will work.

You will also probably want https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/sys-firmware/b43-firmware for your wireless.

A lot of people have documented MacBook installs. https://wiki.gentoo.org/index.php?title=Special%3ASearch&search=MacBook+Pro&go=Go
flysideways
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2024 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Apple_MacBook_Pro_13-inch_(mid_2010)

Quote:
Installation media

This computer is capable of an EFI only install. This is made possible via booting from EFI media. Some users have reported rEFInd was needed to get EFI working properly, however this did not appear to be the case for this system. It should be able to boot off of any EFI enabled media.

To boot to a LiveCD or LiveDVD put the disk into the DVD drive and reboot the system. Press and hold the option (alt) key at the beginning of the boot process (before the sound plays). Continue holding the key until a mouse pointer appears. The DVD drive should be making some noises. Eventually (around a minute) two boot options should appear. Select the DVD drive.
Note
When using SystemRescueCD, if a black GRUB2 screen appears then the system is booting via EFI firmware. If a blue screen appears SysLinux screen appears, then it is not booting via EFI and the system will be unable to load efivars into the kernel.

For further installation instructions see the AMD64 Handbook. Refer to some of the configuration instructions in the lower sections of this article for help with specific device setup and kernel configuration.

The forum does not like the url, but cut and paste it to go to this particular documented install.

[Administrator edit: fixed [url] tag. Forum auto-linking does not work when the URL contains parentheses. -Hu]

Thank You
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: