View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drewgrange
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: KwikDisk and XFcm? Reply with quote

I love KwikDisk in KDE, and I really sucks not having it in XFcm, which I also love now.

Is there any way to get it to load in the XFce system tray? I know some programs like Gaim use XFce's system tray fine, but kwikdisk opens the icon in its own seperate window. I'm guessing this is because it's a KDE app.

So, if those don't work with XFce's tray, is there a gnome based program that does the same thing? (right click to bring up a list of mount points, click on the mount mount to mount/unmount that drive and bring it up in a file manager.)
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: KwikDisk and XFcm? Reply with quote

Drewgrange wrote:
Is there any way to get it to load in the XFce system tray?

no. XFCE and GNOME use the freedesktop.org system tray spec, while KDE uses it's own. I asked about this and apparently Qt's xembed class does funky stuff that makes it incompatable atm. The spec is going to be changed in the future and will make all three desktops work perfectly. It'll need an updated KDE (probably 3.3), XFCE (4.1?), and GNOME (2.8?) however.

GAIM is a special case.. they implement both the freedesktop.org and KDE system tray specifications, as well as the now defunct GNOME 1.x specification.
Cerement
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnome has a builtin applet that's part of the gnome panel that handles disk mounting/unmounting -- but the only name I can get out of it is "Disk Mounter", shows up as "drivemount-applet2" in a process listing -- I don't think you can make use of it outside of a Gnome panel ...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: