Installing WIndows
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phenomic69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Installing WIndows Reply with quote

I was really into gentoo over the summer and got a good system up and running on my second harddrive, right now i am dual booting with grub which only shows up for a second and windows is the default i havent went into gentoo since the summer because i havent had time but I do want to keep it because it works extremely well. Anyhow, i need to reinstall windows and I forgot all my linux stuff so I am wondering is there anyway to easily install windows xppro without overwriting my masterbootrecord so that grub will still dual boot. I forgot so much that i couldnt really use my gentoo install disc to get into gentoo and fix it so that it will use grub. Does anyone know how i can easily keep grub as my bootloader even when i reinstall windows?[/b]
at_chaos
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

you said that you have windows on your first hdd (hda)? and gentoo on you second (hdb)? Is grub on hda or hdb?

I think windows overwrites your mbr (in your case hda) and there is no way out. You just have to reinstall grub after you installed windows if you have grub on hda. But try to save your grub.conf -> it is in /boot/grub.conf <- and recap the installation docs so that you how to configure and install grub ;)

hope that helps a little bit

Last edited by at_chaos on Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
xoomix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Impossible Reply with quote

Installing Windows without it mucking with the MBR is an absolute impossibility without 3rd party booting software like System Commander, etc.
Phenomic69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last time i resinstalled windows with gentoo i knew how to reinstall grub but i was a little confused because it seemed /boot was already mounted whenusing the install cd but the stuff in /boot wasn't the stuff that i had put in there, it seemed like it was the cd's /boot. So could someone please explain really quick how to get the right thing m ounted.

BTW, Windows is hda and gentoo is hdb if i remember correctly.
xoomix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:24 am    Post subject: Really quick way Reply with quote

after getting the shell prompt from the live cd mount /dev/hd? to /mnt/gentoo then mkdir /mnt/gentoo/boot then mount /dev/hd? to /mnt/gentoo/boot

Al in the install doc of course :)
Phenomic69
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was what i was asking for but i remeber i had to do something like chroot to get it to work, is that necessary and waht does it do??
infirit
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont have to chroot etc. Just boot from live cd do grub
Code:
grub> root = (hdx,y)
Grub> setup hd(0)

Where x = drive containing /boot and y the partition that is or (if you do not have separate boot partition) contains /boot
Reboot and it will be installed again :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: