Who misses Windows? Me surely not :P
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlagreen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:49 pm    Post subject: Who misses Windows? Me surely not :P Reply with quote

Hi,

man Linux works and works and works and it wooorks so long, never thought an os can be up that long 8O .

And the performance and how stable just unbelievable, lol just checking forums, merging some stuff, installing debian linux in vmware (for tests), bittorrent and watching through my favorite Anime DVDs. Windows would said already Good Bye when I started more than my DVD Player :x.

So my descision is final, never Windows again and if there is no other way (because of one really useful tool, dont know what but maybe) then vmware in Gentoo :P.
Still I have to keep it on my System as Dual Boot since I'm too lazy to do some partition work :).

And besides can anyone tell me where I can find such a pretty good Community Forum for Windows as Gentoo's for Linux?

THX Linus for an OS which makes it fun to learn new things about it every day 8)
-- >Think Linux, use Gentoo
Illissius
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh. Right now I'm compiling two things, emerge syncing, ripping/encoding CDs, listening to music, downloading stuff via a windows app through wine, and browsing the web. Oh, and running folding@home. It doesn't blink. I'd probably be playing a game at the same time too if I figured out a way to alt-tab out of it a la windows... can you? (alt-tab works, just not while in a game)
frippz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeeaah... *looks away at the horizon*

I kinda miss Gentoo as a desktop OS. Those were the days. But since I play so damn many games like EVE and other non-linux native likes, along with the fact that I'm far to lazy to dualboot, leaves my just running Gentoo on my servers.

I can't wait 'til the day when I won't be needing Windows ever again, so I can go back to using Gentoo and put the fun back into fiddling with my computer. :)
EzInKy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Levi* wrote:
Yeeaah... *looks away at the horizon*

I kinda miss Gentoo as a desktop OS. Those were the days. But since I play so damn many games like EVE and other non-linux native likes, along with the fact that I'm far to lazy to dualboot, leaves my just running Gentoo on my servers.

I can't wait 'til the day when I won't be needing Windows ever again, so I can go back to using Gentoo and put the fun back into fiddling with my computer. :)

Fiddling with your computer is the game B-)
Lord Bob
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can surf the web on this 1998 vintage family computer... but that's about it. It runs Win98 and can barely handle those "special" ISP's "dial-up" software and firefox. I really cannot wait to get back to school and Gentoo. Then I can do ALL sorts of stuff! :)

Illissius wrote:
I'd probably be playing a game at the same time too if I figured out a way to alt-tab out of it a la windows... can you? (alt-tab works, just not while in a game)

I'm not entirely sure if this works, but try starting your game in another X session and switching with ctrl + alt + F7/F8. If that doesn't work, I used a TV remote and lirc last semester to switch between apps for just this purpose :). It worked pretty well actually!
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i occasionally need windows and i wish windows had a livecd i can just download and use. my currrent windows install is borken and i really dont feel like reinstalling windows.
TenPin
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BartPE is a windows liveCD. But ewwww I don't think your Linux box would appreciate it.
placeholder
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo is the only OS I use and I am currently on my mom's computer which also runs Gentoo. Gentoo is the most headache-free way to enjoy your computer that exists, along with other distros of Linux as long as you're not stuck in dependency hell using something such as Mandrake.

I have no need for Windows, and am actually quite shocked when people say they do need it. I don't really play too much with installing things like I did in the beginning, instead I have become much more productive with things such as my website thanks to the great text editor known as GVIM and being able to easily set up a server.

As for Windows, I never plan on running it again unless it's on some ancient box in order to remind me why I don't use it. :wink:
John5788
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TenPin wrote:
BartPE is a windows liveCD. But ewwww I don't think your Linux box would appreciate it.

well bartpe requies me to already have a windows xp sp1 (or higher) cd/installation. it generates a livecd, but i want to just dload one.
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss being able to play Unreal Tourny 2004 at a decent speed butt that's why I dual boot untill I can use a better card.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: