Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
How do I get access to files in my User dir on HFSPLUS?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isolder
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 3:14 am    Post subject: How do I get access to files in my User dir on HFSPLUS? Reply with quote

I can get my drive mounted..

mount -t hfsplus /dev/hda12 /mnt/mac

but I can only view most of the directories..

I can view all the main folders directly inside of my user directory, but if I try to access any of them (other than Public and Sites) it won't let me.

I'm assuming it's keeping me from these areas because I don't have the permissions, and I've done a little reading about mounting and fstab but I don't understand part of it..

It says I can set my uid=xxx and gid=xxx to set the user id and group permissions of all files... I *Think* this is what I need to do to get access to my files but do not want to try for fear of what I don't know.. that being..

is it permanently changing the user id and group permissions of all files on my /dev/hda12 partition, or is it just setting them temporarily while I'm mounting?

I'm mainly wanting to set it up so that I can listen to mp3s on my hfsplus partition, but they are sitting within a directory under my user dir that is privately owned by that user on OS X side..
Ganto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have build in the last few weeks my first gentoo box on my apple ibook. since the main installation was done, i was looking for a mount possibility for hfs+ partitons. i tried your command and had abolutely no problems. at the moment i'm listening with xmms an mp3 directly from my mac partition.

i can't imagine an answer to your problem at the moment. sorry :cry:

greetz ganto
Ganto
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, with the standard permission settings you can only access files from the mac-partition with root. but when you change the permissions in the os x (rightclick on folder -> information -> permissions), that the others can read the music-folders, it is no problem to access them under linux with a non root user.

ganto
jdv
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: How do I get access to files in my User dir on HFSPLUS? Reply with quote

isolder wrote:

is it permanently changing the user id and group permissions of all files on my /dev/hda12 partition, or is it just setting them temporarily while I'm mounting?

I'm pretty sure that the permissions are not changed, Linux just acts as if all the files on the partition were owned by the user and group you choose.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on PPC All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: