(Fixed) Proliant 5000 will not boot after install
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techyoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject: (Fixed) Proliant 5000 will not boot after install Reply with quote

Hello,

I am attempting to install Gentoo on a Proliant 5000R. Previously it was running the ClarkConnect gateway distro (a variation of RedHat) with no problems.

I ran through the install guide without any problems. Upon reboot, I get the lilo menu, I select Gentoo, hit enter...
It then says:

"Loading Gentoo..........................
BIOS data check successful.
Uncompressing Linux... OK, booting the kernel."

and then it just HANGS....

Some things that might be an issue:

-You have to pass parameters to the kernel to specify the amount of memory. For example:
Code:
"mem=exactmap mem=640k@0m mem=1023m@1m"

I have read here that older versions of lilo had trouble passing that parameter and that the gentoo-sources kernel didn't like it either. I am using whatever lilo version portage would have given me yesterday, 22.5.something I think. (not at home right now) and I am now using vanilla-sources as the linked topic recommends. (I have version 2.4.23) I have the same problems with vanilla-sources as I did with gentoo-sources.

-The system contains (and boots from) a hardware SCSI raid array. I think I enabled all the right kernel options, but maybe I didn't? Also, I'm not sure what syntax to use for the raid array.. When I boot from the gentoo cd, the array is in /dev/ida/disc0/ and that directory contains "disc", "part1", "part2", "part3", and "part4" (4 partitions), but when I chroot to /mnt/gentoo, they appear in "/dev/ida/c0d0", "/dev/ida/c0d0p1", "/dev/ida/c0d0p2", "/dev/ida/c0d0p3", and "/dev/ida/c0d0p4" (unless I mount /dev to /mnt/gentoo/dev before hand). So I'm not sure which syntax I should be using in fstab and lilo.conf, though I've tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to effect my other problem. I know ClarkConnect always referred to them in the c0d0p# syntax...

Could anyone point me in the right direction here?

I'm kind of desperate. If you want more info, let me know.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by techyoda on Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:58 am; edited 1 time in total
krusty_ar
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean when you say it hangs? does the screen turns black? if so, you have a missconfigured kernel, I can't remember exactly where to look but it has something to do with tty drivers and it apears at least two times in the kernel config (at least in 2.4)
techyoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

krusty_ar wrote:
What do you mean when you say it hangs? does the screen turns black? if so, you have a missconfigured kernel, I can't remember exactly where to look but it has something to do with tty drivers and it apears at least two times in the kernel config (at least in 2.4)

It doesn't turn black, it does nothing. All the text I mentioned stays on the screen, but nothing more is printed, and nothing else happens. (No HD activity, etc.)
techyoda
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2003 1:57 am    Post subject: My Fault Reply with quote

Chalk this one up to idiocy..

It was a syntax error in lilo.conf that I hadn't noticed till just now.

Sorry for wasting anyone's time. I'm still having some other problems, but I think I can fix them.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: