Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Need to give permission to mnt cdrom and floppy to user.....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:51 am    Post subject: Need to give permission to mnt cdrom and floppy to user..... Reply with quote

How do I give permission so my user account gets to mnt cdroms and floppies. I went into root and through nautilis looked at the file-.properties-permissions. I obviously want root to still be the owner of both the cdrom and floppy. Checking the little buttons for "Group" and allowing group to "read, right, execute" did not help my user account mnt cdrom and floppy.

There was an "others" option, if I check these will that allow any users to mnt the cdrom and floppy? Does this pose a security risk (I am not worried about on-site hacking this is a small family home network)?

Please help me with the simplist way to allow access to my cdrom and floppy. Or if it is not simple please be thorough :)
Kihaji
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC you put users in your fstab options for your cdrom. I remember it was the fstab though.
D. M. P. inc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

u ned to add it on

/etc/group

just nano it or vi and add
olav
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use these cdrom/floppy entries in /etc/fstab

Code:

/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom0     udf,iso9660     noauto,owner,kudzu,ro   0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom1      /mnt/cdrom1     udf,iso9660     noauto,owner,kudzu,ro   0 0
/dev/fd0                /mnt/floppy     msdos           noauto,owner,kudzu,ro   0 0

and I can mount as user without any problems. If your kernel has supermount patched into it, you can enable that option and use the entries below:

Code:

none /mnt/cdrom0 supermount dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /mnt/cdrom1 supermount dev=/dev/cdroms/cdrom1,fs=auto,ro,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,codepage=850 0 0
none /mnt/floppy supermount dev=/dev/fd0,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-1,sync,codepage=850 0 0

With supermount, you just have to insert the cd/floppy and it will be mounted automatically.
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The easiest way is to add the option "user" to your /etc/fstab file for the floppy and cdrom. I'm posting an example for a cdrom:
Code:
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cd     iso9660             noauto,user,ro      0 0

'noauto' means init doesn't try to mount it at boot time. 'ro' is (of course) read only. You probably wouldn't want this for your floppy drive!

Planes are dangerous, get out of 'em quick
Ohmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot for the replies :)

Okay I see where I need to make the change in fstab for the cdrom. And I probably dont want ro as an option for cd-rom or I will never be able to burn cd's correct? I would want both "noauto,user" correct?

But I can find no line for "floppy", what would that look like? Thanks

ACK!!!!!!!! It still does not work. Very big problem - or maybe here is my fstab:

Quote:
/dev/hda1 /boot ext2 noauto,noatime 1 2
/dev/hda3 / ext3 noatime 0 1
/dev/hda2 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 /mnt/cdrom iso9660 noauto,user 0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
none /proc proc defaults 0 0

I put the "user" in for the cdrom and I still am not allowed in my general account to use it. Any help would be appreciated.
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, for writing to CD's you write directly to the cd rom device not to a mounted cd, so leaving the 'ro' entry is ok for a cdrw. (In fact the entry I copied is from my DVD/CDRW!)

The floppy entry should look something like:
Code:
/dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy auto    noauto,user 0 0

edit: I don't actually have a floppy device...

So what, exactly isn't working? Does /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 exist? Does it contain any data? (try running dd if=/dev/cdroms/cdrom0 of=somefile bs=1024 count=1; cat somefile) Does the mount point (/mnt/cdrom) exist? (The mount point must exist before anything can be mounted there)

edit: Also, you don't have to reboot or restart services for changes to /etc/fstab to take effect. mount will automatically check /etc/mnt when it is called.

byrnerat101
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the optian you have to add i believe is "users" with an 's'... i had the same problem ... try it... im not sure if thats it or not but thats what i have in my fstab
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference between "user" and "users" is that if "user" is specified the same user who mounted the device (or root) must unmount it whereas with "users" any user can unmount it. For primarily single-user machines it wouldn't make much of a difference, but for multi-user machines it prevents accidental (or malicious) unmounting of a device someone else is using.

olav
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohmn wrote:
And I probably dont want ro as an option for cd-rom or I will never be able to burn cd's correct?

That's no problem, since cd's aren't mounted during the burn process.
Ohmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I not trying to access the cdrom in the correct fashion? I am assuming (I could do this with fedora core 1 or mandrake) I could go to /mnt/cdrom and click on it and see files. Or if it was not there /dev/cdrom. Well it does not work. What exactly do I have to do to make a cd readable (it is a cd with some mp3's on it). When I try to add them to mplayer by ->mnt->cdrom it wont open. I will post my fstab again.

EDIT: LMAO, I was not giving the mount /mnt/cdrom command. Opps I guess there is a benefit to auto mounting. Why wouldn't one auto-mount? What is the downside?
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a single-user desktop/laptop there's really no downside (other than making it more like Windows!!), if you're running a server or multi-user system you may not want just anyone being able to unmount/eject your removable media.

pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: