canon powershot a80
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 11:11 pm    Post subject: canon powershot a80 Reply with quote

i have my powershot a80 attached to my m gentoo box, and i can download images with gtkam or digikam. though, i can't mount the camera to a folder, because there's no /dev/sda1 representing the camera's flash memory. i have the following modules in my kernel:

scsi generic, scsi emulation, hotplug, usb device fs, usb mass storage. when i plug in my camera, dmesg tells me only that a new device has ben found. as i said, i can access the camera with digikam or gtkam, but i just want to mount it. how can i do that?

tom
pem725
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does dmesg tell you? Are you sure it would be /dev/sda and not /dev/sdb? Also, you might poke around and see if it recognizes the mountable partition as something other than the first partition. For example, it might be /dev/sda3. I usually use the tab key to fill out my options - or at least present my options to me.

Quote:

bash-2.05b$ mount /dev/hdc <TAB>
hdc hdc1 hdc2 hdc3

HTH

Do the community a favor and answer a few stranded messages. I'm off to answer one now...thanks to gentoo!
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmesg tells me:

hub 2-0:1.0: new USB device on port 3, assigned address 3

there are absolutely no scsi devices actually, i also don't see any new devices created when i plug in the camera!

tom
bigdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: A80 can't be mounted like that Reply with quote

If your Powershot A80 is like my A40 you can't mount the camera flash card like that.

Basically Canon uses a custom protocol rather than make the flash card visible as a USB Mass Storage Device. Which is why you can grab the photos in gphoto2 (since it supports the custom protocol), but you can't see any SCSI device.

So you're out of luck AFAIK.

Any particular reason you'd want to mount the drive rather than use gtkam/digikam? If you want command line copying, you could always investigate using the gphoto2 command.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn ... well ok then i'll have to stick with digikam. well i'd like to mount it because it's just easier. i don't need/want gtkam/digikam. mount the camera, copy the pictures to my HD - thats all i want :-) but well, it's okay this way... thanks anyway :-)

tom
bigdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you want the simplicity of just copying everything without mucking around you have two options.

1. Use gphoto2 command line directly. Plug in your camera with some photos, bring up a shell prompt and do something like this:

Code:
cd <directory where you want photos>
gphoto2 -P

You should then see some progress information as gphoto2 copies the images off your camera. Have a look at the man page for gphoto2. There's lots of options.

2. Buy a compact flash card reader. When you want to grab images of the camera, just take the card out of the camera, plug it in to the reader, and it should appear as a normal hard drive. Just like you originally wanted.
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm wow that's strange. gphoto2 is suddenly working only as root! when i plug in the cam (as normal user) dmesg tells me about the new usb device, but i can't read from the camera, i can only do it as root. can anybody tell where/how to fix this? (kernel 2.6.0)

tom
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elektrohirn,

Many cameras have two modes - look in the setuip on the camera. One mode allows it to work with gphoto2 (as you already know). The other makes it act as usb mass storage.

Not all cameras do this and the two modes are mutually exclusive.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
bigdan
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like something's gone wacky with hotplug script to set the permissions for normal users.

Make sure you've read the gphoto2 manual. Particularly step 3 in this bit about USB permissions: http://gphoto.sourceforge.net/doc/manual/permissions-usb.html

Or poke around this forum for the keywords "usbcam hotplug".
fourhead
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as far as i know my camera only works with the ptp (picture transfer protccol). i don't think it can act as mass storage, but i'll check the camera manual again :-) any idea about the permission problem?

tom
yemu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you use KDE you should try Kamera io_slave. just make sure you have kdegraphics installed, and point you konqueror to camera:/. it should show you your camera, and, what's best it shows pictures like normal files in konqueror (so basically it acts the same as if one used usb-storage based camera.
best regards
yemu
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: