moving from 2.4.40-gentoo-r9 to another kernel
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
omro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: moving from 2.4.40-gentoo-r9 to another kernel Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm quite new to the whole concept of compiling and recompiling Kernels. I have a few questions and if you are able to answer them, I'd be extremely grateful.

Here are my questions:

1) Can you recompile the Kernel at any time, changing the options, making a new bzImage and just replacing with the old bzImage with a new one? Or is it more involved than that?

2) Do you have to remove the old kernel before you can compile a kernel from a newer version, such as the 2.6 kernel? If so, how?

3) Do you have to modify any thing else you've installed, such as KDE, when you change the Kernel? If so, how?

4) When do you think the 2.6 kernel will be safe to install? I keep seeing mention of problems on this board that people are having with that kernel.

5) How do you check to see if newer versions of the kernel are available?

Thanks all,

Owen
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: moving from 2.4.40-gentoo-r9 to another kernel Reply with quote

omro wrote:

1) Can you recompile the Kernel at any time, changing the options, making a new bzImage and just replacing with the old bzImage with a new one? Or is it more involved than that?

yes
it might be wise to rename the old bzImage before moving the new one over so you're not left with a unbootable system
What i like to do is edit the makefile to modify the extraversion a little so the modules get installed in different directory's and you get 2 systems you can choose from at boot time, but if i only made a small change i skip that.
omro wrote:

2) Do you have to remove the old kernel before you can compile a kernel from a newer version, such as the 2.6 kernel? If so, how?

no
If you look under /usr/src you'll see directory's for your kernel versions, emerging a new one will just put them there in a new directory.
If you're fine with your new kernel you might want to relink /usr/src/linux (a symlink) to point to your new sources, so everything gets compiled against it (like nvidia drivers)
omro wrote:

3) Do you have to modify any thing else you've installed, such as KDE, when you change the Kernel? If so, how?

No
There are some things that need to be recompiled, but those are kernel modules like alsa, nvidia and other kernel modules you emerged. You will have to reemerge those after relinking /usr/src/linux
If you've switched to 2.6 depending on how much fun you want it might be more involved as you could
- recompile everything with NTPL
- make ATAPI burning work
etc

omro wrote:

4) When do you think the 2.6 kernel will be safe to install? I keep seeing mention of problems on this board that people are having with that kernel.

half a year ago ;)
no seriously, I and many others have been running it for a while now.
I'm not talking about mission critical servers, but for your desktop it should work more than well enough
omro wrote:

5) How do you check to see if newer versions of the kernel are available?

Portage tells you, you might notice in the forums, it'll have articles on slashdot about new kernel versions etc... ;)
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
omro
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your extremely helpful answer :)

I really appreciate it!!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: