Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

Hi:

On my last install I used the Handbook version of the installation guide. Very good, very thorough - kudos to the authors.

I do have one comment: A link needs to be added so users can get it on one page for printing. I see that the PDF version is in the works, but I've seen other sites with a similar doc style (click 'next' for next chapter, etc.) provide a link for getting the entiire doc in one web page. For something as complicated as a Gentoo install where there is still a lot the user has to do to get it installed, this is a must for offline reading and for use during the install itself. Providing this might also get rid of the need of having a PDF version too.....

Also, in step 9b (where you are installing the boot loader), the distinction between the MBR and boot partition should be made a little bit sharper. In the sample line where the following command is issued at the Grub prompt:

grub> root (hd0,0) (Use information from the boot partition)

Can this be changed to:

grub> root (hd0,0) (Specify where the /boot partition resides)

In my late night rush through this section boot/MBR slurred together. This is especially critical for those of us with dual boot systems where we cannot follow the commands exactly as provided (and ran out of sugar/caffeine ;-) ). After not being able to boot properly I quit for the night, realizing my mistake as soon as I woke up the next morning. I suspect noobies might pause or experience the same issues if they don't understand the distinction between MBR and boot partitions (and then think they made some horrendous mistake and start the install all over again). Just food for thought.

Otherwise I wish other systems were this well documented (and had this level of forum support).

Drumz
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

You should post these to bugs.gentoo.org. The developers probably won't read your post, but they will read a bug report (and problems in documenation are bugs).

Planes are dangerous, get out of 'em quick
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought about that (even clicked on the link) but didn't really consider them bugs (as in incorrect/faulty instructions), and wanted to see if I was the only one that felt this way (no sense opening up a bug report if I'm way off base).

Thanks!
Drumz
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

drumz wrote:
no sense opening up a bug report if I'm way off base

Just cuz you post it doesn't mean they'll accept it! :wink:

But they'll look at it, and I think you make valid points. It's hard for me to look at documentation as a total newbie, so I miss things like this. The problem is documentation must be written by someone who knows what they are doing, which means they aren't n00bs, which means they don't think like n00bs...

Planes are dangerous, get out of 'em quick
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

I'll post it as soon as I can get an account set up with the bug database. I created the account but it looks like emailing the starter password is either taking a long time or there are mail issues....

Thanks again,
Drumz
emgarf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

drumz wrote:

I do have one comment: A link needs to be added so users can get it on one page for printing. I see that the PDF version is in the works, but I've seen other sites with a similar doc style (click 'next' for next chapter, etc.) provide a link for getting the entiire doc in one web page. For something as complicated as a Gentoo install where there is still a lot the user has to do to get it installed, this is a must for offline reading and for use during the install itself. Providing this might also get rid of the need of having a PDF version too.....
Drumz

Totally agree. Some of us don't have a second machine available to read the handbook while we're installing Gentoo on the first. The content is great - thank you to the docs team!
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

emgarf wrote:
drumz wrote:

Drumz

Totally agree. Some of us don't have a second machine available to read the handbook while we're installing Gentoo on the first. The content is great - thank you to the docs team!

Hi there,

I totally agree that it would be a good idea to have the whole thing available in one document for printing. However, if you want to look at it on-screen during your install, you can use a different terminal - hit alt-f2 (or f3, or whatever), then use lynx (which is set up for use in the liveCD) to read the docs from the site - you can then switch in between your install and the docs by using alt-f1, alt-f2 etc.
emgarf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Handbook Installlation Guide -> Two Comments Reply with quote

Barkotron wrote:
emgarf wrote:
drumz wrote:

Drumz

Hi there,

I totally agree that it would be a good idea to have the whole thing available in one document for printing. However, if you want to look at it on-screen during your install, you can use a different terminal - hit alt-f2 (or f3, or whatever), then use lynx (which is set up for use in the liveCD) to read the docs from the site - you can then switch in between your install and the docs by using alt-f1, alt-f2 etc.

That's a good suggestion - thanks. Constructive support like this rather than flames are one of the big reasons people tend to stick with Gentoo. 8)
Phildeeze
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
All documentation should also be available in a printer-friendly format. To view this document, append ?style=printable to the URL.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/index.xml :)
emgarf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phildeeze wrote:
Quote:
All documentation should also be available in a printer-friendly format. To view this document, append ?style=printable to the URL.

Thanks, perhaps I'm dense - where on this page is a link to a downloadable or single-page Gentoo Handbook? I do already have the older (deprecated) installation guide.
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emgarf wrote:
Phildeeze wrote:
Quote:

Thanks, perhaps I'm dense - where on this page is a link to a downloadable or single-page Gentoo Handbook? I do already have the older (deprecated) installation guide.

TBH, appending anything to that url doesn't give me anything useful either. However, the older installation guide does appear to me to still be perfectly valid - I don't see anything there that you'd need to change to do an install from any of the currently available liveCDs. In fact, if anyone is having problems with the install, I'd recommend trying the old docs - from what I can see they're a lot simpler and get you to exactly the same position as the newer ones...
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Printable version of handbook Reply with quote

For those interested, I have opened the bug as I said I would and there has been a response:

https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=36761

I would have mentioned the original install docs, but the impression I was getting was the handbook versions were supposed to be the 'new improved' and users were encouraged to use those over the old ones. I didn't think of using an extra term session as suggested by someone here and flipping between them. That would definitely work, but from experience scrolling around trying to move back/forth through the doc would probably get a little tiring after a while.

The other benefit to being able to print out a hard copy is for doing multiple installs, hi-lighting items of interest or important facts, etc. I tried hi-lighting something on my monitor once with a yellow marker, but it didn't scroll with the rest of the text for some reason :wink:

Anyhow, they're aware of the request and if the PDF stuff doesn't work out then it sounds like they'll expore it further.

l8r,
drumz
emgarf
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drumz,

Thanks for opening a bug report.
littlepenguin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who want printer friendly URLs for the handbook try this tip, courtesy of Sven Vermuelen. (Many thanks, Sven). When you get the page you want to print add &style=printable to the end of the URL. Viz.,

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&style=printable

It was also suggested that one could also use ?style=printable on the end of the URL. This did not seem to work for me, possibly because the chapters are really pages.

Cheers
drumz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:06 pm    Post subject: Printable version. Reply with quote

For sake of completeness, I'll post an update for future readers:

The docs maintainers have been kind enough to add a link to a printable version of each section of the handbook installation guide. At the top/bottom 'navigation' area where you can page forward/backward from chapter to chapter, there is now a 'print' link. Clicking this link will display that chapter in a printer friendly format (no sidebars, etc).

Although I originally suggested a single page for the entire doc, this method was suggested by the doc people and it is actually a better solution when you think about it: If one chapter gets updated, you don't have to print the entire thing all over again (or guess the page range). Just print that section.

Kudos to the documentation people for their speed in tweaking this for the end users (AND for a thorough install guide).

Drumz
Barkotron
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent. Nicely done drumz :D
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: