***SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPILING 2.6-mm-R1***
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyphillipo1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:00 am    Post subject: ***SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPILING 2.6-mm-R1*** Reply with quote

What the hell is going on? I am trying to compile mm-sources which is currently at r1 after a sync (is r2 there yet ... can try the ebuild when it filters through). I am currently running test-9 so my sysem is configured for the new kernel??? in fact have only ever run 2.6 kernels with this install.

The weird thing is, it seems as though there is actually a call to telinit 0 because on the command line that is compiling it comes up saying something about it. Then my computer goes down very quickly needing to fsck stuff afterwards. Clearly this is not ideal and i don't trust reiserfs enough to keep this going till I finish compiling my kernel!

My computer is getting restarted more times than it does installing something in Windows!

Any ideas would be appreciated. Perhaps I should compile a different kernel... I like the mm patch set a lot though.
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is your system overclocked or heating up or something?
compiling a kernel is a pretty intensive task and it's been know to bring out hardware on the edge of breaking.
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
andyphillipo1
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... no! Erm I've turned down all the memory options etc. and its still playing up :oops:! the weird thing is in the terminal doing the compiling it actually says "System is going for shutdown!" and then switches off my PC about a second later!

Now I don't know about you but I think this is pretty strange behavior. I actually have tried compiling other things and they all fail too so perhaps my CPU is cooked. Everything works in Windows though.
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now I don't know about you but I think this is pretty strange behavior. I actually have tried compiling other things and they all fail too so perhaps my CPU is cooked.

I'd start looking into hardware failure too, but who knows, it might be your kernel or sensors thinking your cpu is heating (falsely maybe) and issueing a reboot. Don't know very much about those things though

Quote:
Everything works in Windows though.

running windows doesn't put half the stress on your hardware as gcc does
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: