splitting directories across multiple drives
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
strider3700
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: splitting directories across multiple drives Reply with quote

I just installed another HD in my main file server. It's formatted and ready to go however I'm not sure how to mount it. I want to just have it as an addition to an already existing mount. How can I go about setting this up? I'm assuming I don't mount /home to two different locations.

thanks
arkhan_jg
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to mount one directory over two drives, there are two ways of going about it.

The first is to setup some sort of virtual partition. I.E. EVMS, or LVM.
Basically, these will allow you to use your two drives together to create one partition the size of multiple ones added together. The downside is, if one drive fails, you risk losing the entire partition, so make sure you have good backups! The advantage of a virtual filesystem is you can add, resize or move the volume set between different physical drives very easily, thus allowing you to 'grow' the file system later. You can also create virtual filesystems that don't span the entire size of a physical disk.

The second option is to setup a software raid array. Depending on how you configure it, you will have:

Quote:

RAID 0: 2 or more hard drives are combined into one big volume. The final volume size is the sum of all the drives. When data is written to the RAID drive, the data is written to all drives in the RAID 0. This means that drive reads and writes are very fast, but if 1 drive dies you lose all your data.

RAID 1: 2 hard drives are combined into one volume the size as the smallest of the physical drives making it. The two hard drives in the RAID are always mirrors of each other. Thus, if a drive dies you still have all your data and your system operates as normal.

Note, RAID is applied at the drive level, so you can't have different partitions across the drives; they must be used for the raid-array as a whole.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: