Spread the idea of linux.... in display computers
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject: Spread the idea of linux.... in display computers Reply with quote

I was at Sams club and noticed that the computers on display didn't have the cdroms locked, one could open them. I was thinking the more daring linux promoters could pop in knoppix and run linux though any display computer.

Put a nice wallpaper in the knoppix cd listing the benefits of Linux and the cost savings right on the desktop, add a icon to open office, the gimp, and a few games. You could put any programs that would promote linux.

This wouldn't alter the computer in any way, and cd's only cost as little as 20 cents now. So for 50 bucks between 5 or more friends you could advertise on 250 PC's, pretty cheap. Most of the time someone comes in and hard reboots the computer and takes you to a XP login anyway, people can't even play with the display computers. This way it would start into knoppix after a hard reboot, therefor people could experience the display computer.

So, how many people want to promote linux in a semi-illegal way? I justify it by thinking one can't alter the computer with knoppix anyway.

Ethically I'm not sure how this would be, and I'm not sure what a manager would do if you were caught. I'm past the age to be doing this. If knoppix existed when I was in High School then I could be talked into it, but now it seems like a good idea for people that can afford to get into a little trouble.

Now, if anyone does this and gets in trouble I'm telling you now it might not be such a good idea.

Thanx,
Stan
snkmoorthy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a bad idea IFF the store has no policy regarding customers poping in some CDs to check out the computer, otherwise I would say this is not a good idea at all, and if somebody gets caught it will give "Linux" a bad name, we want to avoid that at all cost - Linux is not a play thing anymore - We have better means of getting the message out
snkmoorthy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

repeat, sorry

Last edited by snkmoorthy on Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:07 am; edited 1 time in total
snkmoorthy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

repeat sorry
second_exodous
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was also thinking even if you could do this if the system doesn't have much ram it might display linux badly, it would run really slow.

Thanx,
Stan
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: