Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
GCC 3.2 - New Installation
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chamber001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: GCC 3.2 - New Installation Reply with quote

I had Gentoo installed previously, but due to some problems with my stupidity, had to rebuild my system. This meant starting over with the system restore disks that put just Windows XP on the system. Knowing that GCC 3.2 and Gentoo 1.4 were right around the corner, I decided to wait. Now, however, the time has come (or at least will be coming very soon) to re-install Gentoo (No more Windows :) I have several questions. Because of the change to the ABI, any C++ program that is Pre-compiled on any compiler other than a 3.2 compliant compiler will not work if it uses any of the standard libraries. Is this correct? This means that due to the nature of Gentoo I should be fine, as long as I use only emerge to install stuff, right? Also, what settings should I use to create a rather stable but fast system on an AMD Athlon XP 2000+ with 512 MB of RAM and an 80 GB hard drive. I also have a GeForce 4 MX440 Video Card. Any other suggestions that might be useful? Thanks!
rac
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to have to do this on your first post, but this thread is locked in favor of this thread, where we are trying to gather all GCC 3.2 information in one place. Please feel free to resubmit your question in that thread, but I'll try to answer part of it here, to try to save you some trouble.

I agree with your statement that using only C++ programs compiled from source will minimize your problems with GCC 3.2.

For information on CFLAGS and optimization, be sure to check out CFLAGS Central: maybe you could ask your question there.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: