View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stormy Eyes
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why I do big compiles jobs (like KDE, XFree, and OpenOffice) overnight. :)
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

papasan wrote:
just consider how many hours you'll save in the future by having a fully customized built system.

If you lose 15 hours compiling openoffice, and you win 5 seconds in startup time (which is overly optimistic) you would have to start openoffice 10 000 times to get actually start gaining time. By then you'll probably have to recompile a newer version.
papasan wrote:

emerge kde took about 14-16 hours (maybe longer, was done this morning) on my celeron 1.4.

now time for 'emerge openoffice' =).

openoffice-bin will install in a few minutes and runs fine just as well.

don't get me wrong, i like compiling from source and customizing stuff (no this support but that support etc), but you have to be realistic about performance gains en the time you lose compiling. Even if you can do other stuff while compiling, your system is gonna slow down while emerging stuff, so your perceived performance gains are moot.
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:
papasan wrote:
just consider how many hours you'll save in the future by having a fully customized built system.

If you lose 15 hours compiling openoffice...

Why not start the compile in the evening before you go to bed. In the morning you head to work/school. When you get back, it's propably finished compiling. How much time would you "lose" in that case? ZERO. That's how I installed Gentoo on my 300MHz laptop from stage 1
dabooty
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sure evangelion, jump on my post like it's flamebait, think about it.....

a) my box is to close to my bed to leave it on at night.
b) before someone claims that you are gaining time with compiling openoffice from sources i want to see benchmarks. In my experience compiling the SUN JDK with NTPL has more influence on openoffice speed, but as i don't have any proof at all, I keep my mouth shut or i make it known that i am just guessing.

besides, if you sleep 15 hours so you can compile open office, you have other productivity issues than your 2% performance gain.
registered user #284425
get yourself counted
http://counter.li.org
------
#emerge -pv solves a lot of questions beforehand
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:
sure evangelion, jump on my post like it's flamebait, think about it.....

I did not think that your post was flamebait. I merely pointed out that you don't necessarily have to lose any productive time while the system compiles.

Quote:
a) my box is to close to my bed to leave it on at night.

Then start the compile in the morning. You will get good 12 hours of compile-time before you have to go to bed. Also, you can use the system just fine while it compiles.

Quote:
b) before someone claims that you are gaining time with compiling openoffice from sources i want to see benchmarks. In my experience compiling the SUN JDK with NTPL has more influence on openoffice speed, but as i don't have any proof at all, I keep my mouth shut or i make it known that i am just guessing.

Well, I don't know about OpenOffice, but numerous people have said that compiled binaries run faster on Gentoo than same apps do on some other distros, where you install them from some generic RPM's.

Quote:
besides, if you sleep 15 hours so you can compile open office, you have other productivity issues than your 2% performance gain.

Well, if you sleep 8 hours, work 8 hours and spend maybe 1 hour commuting, you get 17 hours of free compile-time, without having any "issues". ANd for what I have read, you can get alot more performance than just 2%-
shm
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evangelion wrote:
Then start the compile in the morning. You will get good 12 hours of compile-time before you have to go to bed. Also, you can use the system just fine while it compiles.

The problem is that for a lot of people, electricity bills are expensive, so running the computer when you're not using it is a bit energy inefficient.

I don't have that problem, but I know some people who do.
Evangelion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shm wrote:
Evangelion wrote:

The problem is that for a lot of people, electricity bills are expensive, so running the computer when you're not using it is a bit energy inefficient.

Well, you ARE using the computer: you are compiling. If they can't install KDE (for example) because they can't afford the electricity the compiling would take, then I have to ask: can they afford to use the computer AT ALL then? And few hours of electricity doesn't cost that much in the end.
G-Style
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your worried about electricity, just emerge a windows manager it does the same thing but with out all the useless stuff that you don't need.
wilburpan
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dabooty wrote:
don't get me wrong, i like compiling from source and customizing stuff (no this support but that support etc), but you have to be realistic about performance gains en the time you lose compiling. Even if you can do other stuff while compiling, your system is gonna slow down while emerging stuff, so your perceived performance gains are moot.

I use my 700 MHz P3 laptop for work, and use KDE pretty much all the time. I was able to keep doing my usual tasks on the computer (office suite, email, web browsing, listening to mp3s) without noticible loss in speed while emerging KDE 3.2 beta in the background. And I would be the last to say that my laptop is any sort of performance monster. In fact, I would guess based on the time it took to emerge other versions of KDE that if anything took a performance hit, it was the KDE 3.2 beta emerge, not the other things I was doing.

Having said that, I really don't see performance gains as the reason to compile from source. The main thing that I have observed that makes Gentoo different from binary/RPM based linux distros is that compiled packages seem to be more stable and have less issues than binary packages. And here I am specifically talking about Mozilla and OpenOffice.
titanofold
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how long has it taken you guys to compile OpenOffice? I'm beginning to reach 36hours on my PII 233MHz w/ 128MB RAM. Told it not to use KDE, QT, or Gnome. (I like Kahakai much better than the environments.)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: