Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Installation Manual needs to be tweaked.
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:21 pm    Post subject: Installation Manual needs to be tweaked. Reply with quote

I have noticed several places in the IM that needs tweaking. I will edit this post from time to time to note the issues. I'll have no particular order to this, but it should be obvious to people what I mean...

Quote:
Section 6c is rather backwards, placing those things that need to be done first, towards the end of the section.

People are told to follow the IM, so things should be in their respective order; not so that when someone begins an operation, they read 3-5 lines later that there was something they could have done different. Or, something they should do...after they already started bootstrapping.

EXAMPLE: Wouldn't it be nice if they were told about the need to "# source /etc/profile" before they ran "# scripts/bootstrap.sh" ?

Or, at least tell them to read the entire section because there are things mentioned out of order.

I have seen this in several places.

Quote:
The bootstrapping directions in 6c is ambiguous. Depending upon how you read it, some people might get the impression that it needs to be run twice, while others might read it as only once.

This might seem -obvious- to the writers, but to a newbie, installing Gentoo for the first time, it can be very confusing. I myself have always been considered by instructors to be an excellent reader, but even now I wonder which is the correct way.
I have little doubt that some people will deny this ambiguosity...nevertheless, it does exist.

Quote:
In the kernel section it implies that you'll be getting kernel-2.4.22 when you DL the gentoo-sources, when in fact you get (at the time of this writing) kernel-2.4.20.

A notation needs to be made that this will vary according to what happens to actually be gentoo-sources at the time.

Quote:
I would note that genkernel has been rather improved since the writing of the IM...and now allows one to use menuconfig...while still using the genkernel script.

BTW, I like that feature. It is nice to be able to specify things, and still have much of the work done automatically...especially the initrd.

Quote:
Without getting too tutorialish, the difference in the crons should be explained a little better. As it is, it sounds like people have to just pick a pig in a poke....in other words...choose without having any idea whether it will be easy or hard to change later.

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...

Last edited by Nu-Bee_4VR on Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could, filing bug reports against documentation would be helpful.

Thanks.
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjp wrote:
If you could, filing bug reports against documentation would be helpful.

Thanks.

Will do after I have gone through them better, but people need to see this on the forum. I doubt that many newbies will be reading bugzilla before they install. :)

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: