ALSA -slow down || slow motion- on 2.6.0 -=>SOLVED<=-
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhalsiim
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:49 am    Post subject: ALSA -slow down || slow motion- on 2.6.0 -=>SOLVED<=- Reply with quote

I've had a problem using ALSA with 2.6.0 line of kernels. I don't know if this is true for 2.4.x's, but if it is, then I guess here's a somewhat work around for it.

- I can verify this happening for gentoo-dev, vanilla-dev, mm-dev kernels.

- The problem is that when ever my computer went under heavy load, eg. while playing a game or something, or when compiling some stuff, or when I opened 10-15 tabs in epiphany/mozilla, or when an app suddenly crashed (due to my n00bness of course), xmms and xine and what ever have you, started working in slow motion.

- I cannot confidently say that it occurs always due to the factors mentioned above, but these are the times when things mostly got bad.

- At first I thought it was something wrong with mplayer (my default media player). So I emerged xine. But the results were the same.

- Since xmms also suffered from the slow motion sound syndrome, I thought it could be ALSA.

- So I upgraded to ~x86, and used "media-libs/alsa-lib-1.0.0_rc2" && "media-sound/alsa-utils-1.0.0_rc2", with a patched kernel for alsa-1.0.0_rc2 also. [This is now by default in newer dev- kernels].

- The problem still presisted.

- Being the n00b I'm, it never occured to me to try and use alsa as modules, and check to see if rmmod'ing and modprobe'ing them again would work. But that's what I did last night and it *worked*. Now I don't need to lose my 30 days of uptime and restart when ever alsa messes up. I don't know how to report this as a bug to alsa. If anyone else comes accross this or knows what is happening please do. I'll be more than happy to provide more information on this if you need to.

NOTE: I have an onboard sound card snd-intel8x0.
bruor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am also experiencing the same problems, but mine are either totally from boot or not at all, i thought it weas a problem with oss because after removing it fomr the kernel and then booting from it sound worked fine, however on the next boot everythign was screwed up again, sounds play in slow motions or sound like static.

i have an ibm thinkpad 390x running 2.6 kernel and an ess solo-1 soundcard

compiling alsa as modules was my next thought and if it works ill be extremely happy, you have given me a little hope by reporting that it works.

thanks very much and ill let you know how it goes...
bruor
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no go on the fix, it seems that i still have the problems with the .9.8 drivers i guess ill have to try the latest and greatest. can anyone recommend a kernel for me to use?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: