That install file or <i>Just shoot me!</i>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BDKR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: That install file or <i>Just shoot me!</i> Reply with quote

I sure don't hope you guys hate me for this, but I have to say that the installation documentation for Gentoo is the absolute worst I've ever seen. I've been using Linux since '97 so it's not just a matter of me being a stone cold n00b3 that's not willing to RTFM. I'm just accustomed to clear and concise documentation.

Why not have a section that is just the highpoints of the install process? Something like

Quote:

The basic commands you must execute to install and use a MySQL binary distribution are:

shell> groupadd mysql
shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
shell> cd /usr/local
shell> gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
shell> ln -s full-path-to-mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
shell> cd mysql
shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
shell> chown -R root .
shell> chown -R mysql data
shell> chgrp -R mysql .
shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

Anyway, I haven't given up yet, but don't you guys give up on the documentation either. :twisted:

Cheers,
BDKR
Bar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First I'll say if anyone wants to reply to his post as a flame, just don't reply and save us the time :)

Second I'll ask, Is there a specific area that you feel the documentation is lacking? I (and I think I speak for most gentooers) think the documentation is quite good.

"Don't take life to seriously. It isn't as if you will actually live through it anyways"-Elbert Hubbard
BDKR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bar wrote:
First I'll say if anyone wants to reply to his post as a flame, just don't reply and save us the time :)

Second I'll ask, Is there a specific area that you feel the documentation is lacking? I (and I think I speak for most gentooers) think the documentation is quite good.

First off, you need to realize that this is posted as such out of frustration. That said, if frustration doesn't warrant any respect or understanding then flame away.

Otherwise, I think I gave a good example of why the documentation isn't 'up to snuff'. But I'll try to be concise.

* It's extremely verbose!
* As a result of the above, related bits of info are spread all over the place.
* It's one big document that doesn't even have links to other parts of the document.
* All of the information seems to be thrown out there 'stream of thought'' as opposed to
some sort of logical grouping of information.

Now if anybody out there feels as though I've stepped on a toe or two, don't. This isn't a slam against Gentoo, but just the install.html file as well as the online equivalent. I was actually rather excited to check it out as I've heared nothing but good about it. So don't get upset about it. Just consider that maybe there are others out there that think the same way. Before posting this last night, I found other threads here where people pretty much agreed that the documentation would benefit from some attention.

I really think PHP, MySQL, Postgres, and even Python are good examples of good documentation.

Cheers,
BDKR
GentooBox
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: That install file or <i>Just shoot me!</i> Reply with quote

BDKR wrote:
I sure don't hope you guys hate me for this, but I have to say that the installation documentation for Gentoo is the absolute worst I've ever seen. I've been using Linux since '97 so it's not just a matter of me being a stone cold n00b3 that's not willing to RTFM. I'm just

Quote:

The basic commands you must execute to install and use a MySQL binary distribution are:

shell> groupadd mysql
shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
shell> cd /usr/local
shell> gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
shell> ln -s full-path-to-mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
shell> cd mysql
shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
shell> chown -R root .
shell> chown -R mysql data
shell> chgrp -R mysql .
shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &

well... if it was that "simple/short", and a newbie just moved to linux. - then they wouldent understand a SHIT of what we say to him.

for an exsample:
Change your kenel symlink to /usr/src/kernel-version.

If he had used a short installation guide that fits to only one page, then he would be 100 % lost.
The documentation (installation guide) is education to those who are new to Gentoo Linux.
People need that installation guide.

You have tryed Linux before, and know how to change a symlink. - you dont need all the newbie stuff from the instllation guide.
Then just read the installation guide 2-3 times, and then you have it all in your head.

I dont need the installation guide anymore. i have the "simple/short" version in my head.
BDKR
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: That install file or <i>Just shoot me!</i> Reply with quote

GentooBox wrote:

well... if it was that "simple/short", and a newbie just moved to linux. - then they wouldent understand a SHIT of what we say to him.

If you had really read what I wrote, you would've remembered that I said...

Quote:

Why not have a section that is just the highpoints of the install process? Something like

In other words, just a portion! Otherwise, I agree with you 100%.

And as for this...

Quote:

If he had used a short installation guide that fits to only one page, then he would be 100 % lost. The documentation (installation guide) is education to those who are new to Gentoo Linux. People need that installation guide.

So it's OK to punish those who've been around a while with useless verbosity?

But this next line is part of the problem.

Quote:

..Then just read the installation guide 2-3 times, and then you have it all in your head.

I don't have time for that! Some of us work and have things to do. Besides, if you have to re-read it two or three that should be a dead give away that there is a problem.

As a matter of fact, don't even bother responding to this because I no longer care. It's prolly a great distro, but it's not worth this. I'll stick with Mandrake / SuSE / Red Hat.

Cheers,
BDKR
nachiketa
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: BDKR Reply with quote

read the online manual. always online. the one on the cd is diff.
bsolar
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:47 am    Post subject: Re: That install file or <i>Just shoot me!</i> Reply with quote

BDKR wrote:
As a matter of fact, don't even bother responding to this because I no longer care. It's prolly a great distro, but it's not worth this. I'll stick with Mandrake / SuSE / Red Hat.

By the way if you want to discuss (in maybe a more mature and costructive way) about some sort of installation checklist you might be interested in e.g. this thread.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: