Semi-Broken Kernel and Filesystem
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Semi-Broken Kernel and Filesystem Reply with quote

Well, I reinstalled gentoo except this time I used 2.6.0 (gentoo-dev-sources) and an LVM. I'm pretty sure my two problems are related and will fix everything. When booting, I get a message that I did not compile my Kernel with DEVFS support - how do I recompile it with that option? I have a LiveCD that I have been booting off of, should I just mount the gentoo dirs, chroot to the folder and then recompile the kernel loading my previously saved config file or is there more too it than that?

Secondly, when booting I got a bunch of errors that things could not load probably because my LVM was not confiugured right yet. I logged into the system and executed /sbin/vgscan but it came back with an error that the module was not supported! In the Kernel configuration I made sure to select LVM and Raid support (as a * not an M) but neither of the two options that dropped had anything to do with LVMs (both were for RAIDs) so I left them alone. What do I need to do to fix that?

Thanks,
Justin
mad man moon
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

soaringcondor wrote:
should I just mount the gentoo dirs, chroot to the folder
Just do this.
Then you have to build-in the options "File systems -> Pseudo filesystems -> /dev file system support" and "Automatically mount at boot" into the kernel. Afterwards recompile.
This should solve the first problem, maybe the second too, but I´m not sure, because I have no experience with LVM.
soaringcondor
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay - I fired up the LiveCD to try and redo my kernel. The problem is that my /usr partition is inside the LVM and after running a vgscan this happens:
Code:
# mount /dev/vg/usr /usr -t reiserfs
mount: special device /dev/vg/usr does not exist

Since the Kernel source is on the USR directory I'm not sure what to do.

Justin

EDIT: I got it to work a little better. I went back through the LVM guide and set up the /dev/vg LVM group since I hadn't done that. The problem is that the new group does not know where the existing LVM partitions are and I don't want to play with it incase I blow them away. I think that the correct lvcreate command would do this but I'm not sure how to pull it off without destroying my existing data.
ela
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: lvm1 and lvm2 and gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1-r1 Reply with quote

Hello!

I use gentoo-dev-sources 2.6.1-r1.

I did not have the devfs problem, but I also can't find the lvm kernel options. I read, that with v2.6 lvm2 was now an official part of the linux kernel. Was it removed by the gentoo developers? Can anyone help? Would it be advisable to use vanilla 2.6-sources from kernel.org in the meantime, to get lvm to work?

Another topic: I think I used lvm v1 up to now (I used the lvm that comes w/ the latest xfs-2.4-sources). Is there anything I need to do to in order to switch to lvm2, or is it backwards-compatible?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Ela.
ela
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I found out what went wrong.

The LVM kernel module is now called "device mapper", so it is already activated. What was formerly lvm-user is now called LVM2.

Gnargh! :evil:

So
Code:

emerge unmerge lvm-user
emerge lvm2

should do the trick.

If it doesn't I'll be back soon to correct me. :)

Bye, Ela.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: