Recommendations for gnome burning software or xcdroast help
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ohmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 5:57 pm    Post subject: Recommendations for gnome burning software or xcdroast help Reply with quote

I am a former rdhat 9.0/fedora core 1 user. With those I could simply install K3B (the gnome rpm) and I was quite pleased with K3B. I tried emerging k3b on a gnome machine and that did not work well ;)

Gnome CD toaster does not recognize my Plextor 12/10/32A CD/RW. So gnome is really out. I emerged xcdroast and it worked for duplicating a disk. The problem is most of my cd-burner needs involve backing up files. And for the life of me I have played with xcdroast and I cant seem to get it to have a dialogue window where you can add files that you then burn. Much like all windows burner software and k3b. I am sure there is a way to do it, I just cant figure out how. Yea I am sometimes really slow at picking up on the "intuitive" nature of GUI programs ;)

So if someone could give me a remedial lesson in using xcdroast to burn a couple files that reside in a "folder" in my home I would appreciate it. Or if there is a better solution out there I would love to hear about it. I dont want to break portage though, which is why I have not tried installing K3B outside of "emerge". Thanks
blueworm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I understand what you mean by xcdroast, I still have'nt completly figured it out.
I only use it for disk copy.
For data cd I use gcombust which is very simple no bs gui.
For audio cd I use k3b.
My windows manager is fluxbox, nevertheless It is possible to run gtk and qt based gui at same time.
k3b I have found not to work to well recently using scsi emulation.
But works perfectly using ATAPI.
scoobydu
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommendations for gnome burning software or xcdroast h Reply with quote

Ohmn wrote:
I am a former rdhat 9.0/fedora core 1 user. With those I could simply install K3B (the gnome rpm) and I was quite pleased with K3B. I tried emerging k3b on a gnome machine and that did not work well ;)

Gnome CD toaster does not recognize my Plextor 12/10/32A CD/RW. So gnome is really out. I emerged xcdroast and it worked for duplicating a disk. The problem is most of my cd-burner needs involve backing up files. And for the life of me I have played with xcdroast and I cant seem to get it to have a dialogue window where you can add files that you then burn. Much like all windows burner software and k3b. I am sure there is a way to do it, I just cant figure out how. Yea I am sometimes really slow at picking up on the "intuitive" nature of GUI programs ;)

So if someone could give me a remedial lesson in using xcdroast to burn a couple files that reside in a "folder" in my home I would appreciate it. Or if there is a better solution out there I would love to hear about it. I dont want to break portage though, which is why I have not tried installing K3B outside of "emerge". Thanks

If you go 'create cd' then to 'Master Tracks'.

Look at 'File Directory view' on the right, and highlight the files you need (holding down 'ctrl' will allow for multiple selections), then just select 'Add'. It will then ask you how you want to add them ....

I use 'Rox' file manager and it supports drag and drop to xcdroast, so for me, together they are the best solution for cd's and dvd's ...

scooby

imho, xcdroast hasn't got the best gui, but the app is solid and works well.
Ohmn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: