There has *got* to be an easier way to do this...I hope (sen
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 12:50 am    Post subject: There has *got* to be an easier way to do this...I hope (sen Reply with quote

So, I just got my new Sennheiser HD280pro's today. Their bass response isn't as good as I'd hoped. However, if I run aumix and turn the bass mixer all the way up, they have great bass, and the sound quality is still great (if I use xmms' mixer it makes them sound horrid).

So, they *can* have good bass...but the problem is, I don't want to have to change the bass when I switch between speakers and headphones (I have a pair of Klipsch Promedia 2.1's) and I when I play CD's the sound is done through digital audio extraction, so the mixer has no effect on the sound (and thus I cannot change the bass at all).

For whatever reason, the bass knob on my speaker control does not affect the headphone jack, also on my speaker control.

Anyone got any ideas?

cheers...
...grep
minimizebeefgoo
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I was just thinking the same thing about my HD-280 Pros...

However, I'm not really sure what can be done about this other than having to fool with the bass mixer, though I have noticed that the bass seems to fill in a lot if you crank the volume a bit... bad for your ears, though :/.
uglyb0b
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news: it seems that your headphone jack is a direct line out, which is awesome because you can record directly from it and it'll be high quality. the bad news: mnimizebeefgoo is right, or so it would seem....

Linux geek and Mac whore.
grepcomputers
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I was talking on the arstechnica a/v forum, and many people were telling me to "burn in" the headphones before I judged the sound. IE, play 24 hours or so worth of music through them before really thinking about the sound. As I listen to them, the bass is getting better, good enough in fact that cranking up the bass in the mixer all the way is starting to sound icky.

I'll have to see how it goes, I've only got in about 7 hours so far.

uglyb0b: thanks for the info!

cheers...
...grep
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: