Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chunderbunny wrote:
The basic problem is, if you create binary packages you need to testthem against other packages to make sure that nothing is broken. This takes a while, and is one of the main reasons binary distros have upgrade release cycles. You can't apply the "Gentoo way" to a binary distro, it just simply isn't possible to provide binary packages that are guaranteed to work with all known versions of the dependencies.

http://chinstrap.alternating.net/

Seems like someone already is doing it...

Quote:

In order to use Mandrake or Debian or Red Hat, you have to do it "their way." This means that if you are using Mandrake and you feel the need to upgrade from KDE 3.2 to KDE 3.3, then you have to wait for the next version of Mandrake. It's as simple as that.

Off topic, but I even had the KDE3.3 packages made by Mandrake for 10.1, and it created a dep hell. But nothing to get excited about really, its old news from the rpm camp ;-)
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read your posts. And I'll echo it once more.

Use debian. It's as simple as that.

Gentoo is a soruce distro - That's one of the reasons MANY of use it.

In fact - It's the ONLY reason I use it.
goulash
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds pretty selfish that your asking someone else to do your compiling for you...
galay2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is it that when theres improvements to gentoo that can make many users happy, while (key point) at the same time it does not do any harm in any possible way to old users, the idea still gets rejected? I'm confused.

(I've read the thread, but perhaps I've missed something)
miqorz
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is yet another case of a pepsi drinker going over to the coke factory complaining it's not more like Pepsi. :roll:
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galay2: exactly, Im confused too. Just to prove it, I just installed Gentoo on my laptop using

http://chinstrap.alternating.net/

and so far its working beyond my expectations. I set my CFLAGS and USE flags to the same as theyre using in chinstrap, and I had a full working KDE3.3 desktop in under 2 hours on a P3 800MHz.

"So why not just STFU and continue using chinstrap then?" To quote Kurt:
Quote:

Also, regarding the security aspect...imo, anyone who blindly installs binary packages created by unknown "community members" is quite simply asking for their machine to be trojaned. That's not a very feasible idea -- there is no way to ensure the integrity of the packages.

If Gentoo provided one binary repository with one -march and one set of USE flags, theyd be able to provide md5sums also to ensure package integrity. Of course you will be forcing binary users to accept default flags! Of course you will be forcing binary users to accept your optimization! But how is this any different than any other binary distro out there?

Now, where was all the "issues" I was gonna run into doing this? There's alot of hearsay and people meaning this and that in this thread. And yet, some actually try things out in real life and experience completely different things than "smart-asses with opinions" on this forum. Is it so hard to accept the fact that there are many users out there who use Gentoo for other reasons than the fact that its source based, or provides USE flags or custom optimization? Who's being selfish, you say?

Some people clearly demonstrates their superior ability to be able to read a post and actually completely fail to understand the essence altogether. Stupidity, we salute you...
boskone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, has anyone done any performance studies on some fairly generic compiled binary versus source? I mean, the reason quite a few of us use Gentoo on some boxes and Debian or whatever on others is because we don't need the same kind of edge for our server, email box, or kids' box that we do for our primary/gaming box. If the difference is 5%, but you still get the _other_ advantages of Gentoo (I still think it's easier to setup and maintain than other distros), then we could see a lot of people who don't have the need/want/patience for compiling everything move over.

Maybe introduce support for Debian or Ubuntu repositories into portage? They seem to work well enough that people use them often; Ubuntu's been getting quite a bit of good press on Ars Technica recently.

Building from source isn't the _only_ advantage of Gentoo; the up-to-date repositories (usually), the relatively quick responses to problems, etc, are also factors, and to many people as or more important than any cachet attached to compiling everything.
galay2
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said boskone and Loke. Which comes to the conclusion that why cant the gentoo people allow users to have a more flexible way to enjoy and benefit from this distro. Sometimes people actually only want a subset of what you provide, why force everything down the throat? Didnt we learn anything from microsoft? :roll:
khud
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm more inclined towards the ubuntu/debian repositories idea. I think it's great, i thought about it once too. Although it would imply having the dependencies installed, so i don't know how that could be solved. I mean, you _do_ have the dependency, but through emerge, and apt-get doesn't know. Maybe a unified database or xml file? I don't know...it would be hard work... Anyway, the idea is that gentoo supports binary packages for those who want it, not for everyone forced to... so I see this pretty simple:
-Binary packages only have one CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS = i686.
- Binary packages have only one use flags which would be a default, anything other than that, then serve yourself the source.

What's so difficult in that? It could even be as simple as providing the GRP packages to the public, not in an iso, for users to download those they want everytime gentoo makes a release.
Loke
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been using the Chinstrap binaries on one of my laptops for a few weeks now, and I cant compliment enough on how well it works so far. The only thing I can really complain about, is that the chinstrap repository isnt always up-to-date on every ebuild - but the major ones (the ones who are timeconsuming to compile) are usually in sync.

The installation was simple, I just used a stage3 tarball and set my CFLAGS and USE flags to the same as the GRP release. The Chinstrap project use the same CFLAGS and USE flags as the GRP reference set btw:

Code:

# This is the Gentoo GRP default CFLAGS taken from Catalyst docs
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"
# This is the Gentoo GRP default USE-flags taken from Catalyst docs
USE="gtk2 gnome kde qt bonobo cdr esd gtkhtml mozilla mysql perl ruby tcltk acl cups ldap ssl tcpd -svga"
# Portage uses PORTAGE_BINHOST to specify mirrors for prebuilt-binary packages.
#PORTAGE_BINHOST="ftp://login:pass@grp.mirror.site/pub/grp/i686/athlon-xp/"
PORTAGE_BINHOST="http://chinstrap.alternating.net/files/2004.2/grp/i686/"

As long as Im using the same CFLAGS and USE flags as the Chinstrap/GRP reference, I can also compile from source if I want to - and I will never experience broken binaries.

So the realization of a binary distribution of Gentoo is already here, and I highly recommend it to anyone who are tired of long compile times.

The only thing missing, like noted before, is an md5sum security provided by the Gentoo team.

Edit:

Perhaps someone is interested in this info: When performin an update world ( or --deep as in this case) I get the following output:

Code:

# emerge -Uugk world --deep -p

These are the packages that I would merge, in order:

Fetching binary packages info...
Loaded metadata pickle.
cache miss: 'x' --- cache hit: 'o'
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
  -- DONE!

Calculating world dependencies ...done!
[ebuild  N    ] sys-kernel/gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.8-r10
[binary     U ] dev-libs/glib-2.4.6 [2.4.5]
[binary     U ] sys-libs/lib-compat-1.4 [1.3]
[ebuild     U ] app-arch/ncompress-4.2.4-r1 [4.2.4]
[binary  N    ] media-fonts/gnu-gs-fonts-std-8.11
[binary     U ] app-text/ghostscript-7.07.1-r7 [7.07.1-r1]
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/t1lib-5.0.1 [5.0.0-r2]
[binary  N    ] net-mail/mailbase-0.00-r5
[binary  N    ] mail-mta/ssmtp-2.60.9
[binary     U ] app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.6 [1.2.4]
[binary     U ] media-sound/lame-3.96.1 [3.96]

#

As for introducing debian packages into the mix, I dont really understand the motivation for doing this, since every feature of binary distribution is already available in portage. The "challenge" is providing the binaries.
mastabog
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2004 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

galay2 wrote:
Why is it that when theres improvements to gentoo that can make many users happy, while (key point) at the same time it does not do any harm in any possible way to old users, the idea still gets rejected? I'm confused.

(I've read the thread, but perhaps I've missed something)

I'm not exactly saying that it applies in this case, but a general answer could be that those "old" users, who reject it, have some sort of fear that the new idea might become popular, rendering their "old" ways deprecated and unsuppported ... otherwise, yes, it's pretty stupid ... yet again, there is always the "linux rules - windows sucks" debate, right? :)

A binary repository will always be welcome by users who care much more about being productive than tweaking the hell out of their boxes, gaining very little from their point of view ... I myself would surely like a binary repository, properly maintained though!

Nevertheless, I do love Gentoo .. binary or not, it's not the main reason I chose it over all other distros and I'm sure I'mnot the only one :D

Cheers
KingPunk
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Binary packages for stable users [long] Reply with quote

Lazlo wrote:
We would need to introduce a concept I call a PROFILE. Your gentoo profile would consist of your ARCH, CHOST, CFLAGS and USE variables.
Now if you had the same profile as some other user should be able to exchange binary packages without any problems. So obviously users who want to take advantage of my little scheme would have to gravitate around common profiles.

Gentoo already has a somewhat basic approach to this already, its refered to as GRP,
in my honest opinion, it just isn't extensive enough
other than that i couldn't agree more, the "common" ones are best.
build generic x86, -mcpu's and use -02 for all of em. and with the packages that
have been built for the community, they could be something more along the consertive lines.
as opposed to having some strange make flag or something.
so screw anything but the basics.

but overall this sounds like quite a good idea, and i've been trying to suggest it for ages.
the issue is with the profiles. and limited bandwidth.
but that can be solved within due time.

the next issue would be people complaining "oh this isn't built -march=mycpu, blah blah blah"
issue solved already: want it built better? build it yourself!

atleast thats my $0.02
peace,
KingPunk
Shadow Skill
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recenctly got Gentoo installed on my adm64 machine. I decided to try Gentoo because of the good things I had heard about portage from other Linux users, the idea of having an infastructure to handle source code compilation really intrigues me, and because of this infastructure [portage] dep hell can be at the least greatly reduced. :) However a six hour compile time for KDE when you are not optimizing it is totally unacceptable really. Right now I am emerging Amarok but since it is tied to KDE I have to emerge kdebase and kde libs at the very least, its about half way through the entire emerge process after about an hour. I want to listen to music using Amarok today not tomorrow, Gentoo conceptually is a great idea but in order for it to become what it could be the CLI eliete need to stop spreading FUD about binary package systems. Yes I think RPM sucks but that does not mean that we should not have a system by which binary and souce installs are supported without the dep hell. The arguments against allowing people to choose to install binaries really fall apart when you realize that:

1. Nothing will ever stop you from removing the binary and recompiling the program optimized to your preference.
2. In reality the optimization may or may not provide any readily apparent performance gain over a binary.
3. You may not want to optimize every single package and instead you want to use a package and worry about making it lean and mean later [say after having to reinstall because you #### your machine. It's a good thing I learned to make /home seperate from the rest of the system. :) ]

With that said I think that the makers of Gentoo and Portage as well as the guys who made the xfce bin installers have the right idea about package management for Linux, I think the ultimate most perfect system would in fact be a combination of portage [with binary repos at the ready for the major arch types.] and a sort of gui-wrapper for when you do ./configure manually on the comannd line or even just double clicking the configure script. If we do that I think we can open up the whole thing to the not so computer inclined, which means we will probably get more working ati/nvidia drivers and more hardware support in general, which at the end of the day is only going to make our enjoyment of Gentoo or any other distro that much better.

"First there was nothing, so the lord gave us light. There was still nothing, but at least you could see it."
aquahawk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Binary packages for stable users [long] Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
Lazlo wrote:
We would need to introduce a concept I call a PROFILE. Your gentoo profile would consist of your ARCH, CHOST, CFLAGS and USE variables.
Now if you had the same profile as some other user should be able to exchange binary packages without any problems. So obviously users who want to take advantage of my little scheme would have to gravitate around common profiles.

There are something like 175 USE variables (never mind local use variables) and at least 2 dozen -march/-mcpu settings that I can think of off the top of my head. Then there are lots of other various GCC flags as well. (-O2, etc.) I tried calculating all the possible permutations that could be used there, but my computer melted before I could get a number...

If you restrict yourself to "common profiles" like you suggest, then you've just negated one of the primary benefits of Gentoo and turned it in to Just Another Binary Distribution. So why use Gentoo at that point? Why not use Debian or Fedora or Mandrake or Suse or any of the other 16 gazillion binary distros?

I personally think what you're trying to do is largely impractical if not impossible. But assuming for the sake of argument that it is possible, why would you do such a thing?

--kurt

I can think of a reason , you want to try an application if you dont like it why go the bother of compiling it.

I dont think its impractical all those binary distros dont have portage ,whouldnt we just get the best of both worlds?

The suggestion wasnt to remove portage , Just to add support for binarys properly if its possible.

I can build binaries that can go on more than one machine now with no problems. And really the only difference is
the use flags theres no visible speed difference from compiling from source , IHMO.

It also makes gentoo accesible to people not so technically inclined. I can still compile everything but i can convert
my girlfriend to gentoo rather than duel booting ubuntoo and gentoo. She could quickly install the software to use i can recompile it later to make it beter.Its done with firefox and openoffice anyway.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: