View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Laptop Reply with quote

Can gentoo be installed with pretty good functionality on an older laptop with a 3 gig hard drive? It's mostly for experimentation and getting used to Linux. Thank you.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny2003,

Tell us about the CPU, memory, graphics, CD drive and networking.
Also tell us about your asparations. i.e. what does
Quote:
pretty good functionality
really mean?

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
D. M. P. inc
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hard drive will be good tho but the rest no one knows yet but u so post ur spec and let people see it
olav
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo wil most probably install withouth a hitch. Slightly old hardware is usually good in term of compatibility, but if it's very old, you should choose a stage3 install. A stage1 install will have your box compiling for days if it's an old PIII or less.
dedeaux
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't expect miracles as far as speed. Just warning you. You are, as advised earlier, better off using stage3 as the build of a system on a slow machine will take ages.

Once again, specs of the machine would be helpful.
!db!
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my thoughts ...

I'm finalizing a stage 1 install (2.4.22-gentoo-r2) on a PII 266MHz IBM Thinkpad 600 (I bought it second-hand a year ago, and I think it was made in 1998 - so it's pretty 'old'). I used to run Redhat 9.0 on it before switching to Gentoo - boot took forever. If you don't mind 'emerging' for a little less than a week, go ahead and try a stage 1. The only serious challenge I was faced with was figuring out the right kernel options (this frustrating trial and error process did take some time ...). But now everything is working fine. My wifi card is recognized, but sound remains an issue (this is an old, well documented Thinkpad 600 problem - I'll get to that after finalizing my kde installation). I guess it depends also on well you know your hardware ...
Johnny2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:17 am    Post subject: Gentoo on laptop Reply with quote

I have a Dell PII, 300 MHz, 64 MB ram w/ cd drive currently running WinXP pro. It is networked thru my Host computer running dual-boot of WinXP and Mandrake 9.1. I can get on the internet and see back and forth when my main computer is booted into the WinXP. I cannot yet when I have the main in Linux but I'll mess with that later. I want to play with Gentoo for right now.
I want to say thank you for the quick responses from everyone. I hope this is enough information to get me started. I have a set of Gentoo disks already. I was thinking either stage 3 or stage 3 with GRP. What do you think.

Thanks again.
NeddySeagoon
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny2003,

You want to stay away from GNOME and KDE with just 64Mb RAM but a stage 3 will be OK. I'm not sure what you get with the GRP.

NeddySeagoon

Computer users fall into two groups:-
those that do backups
those that have never had a hard drive fail.
Johnny2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone for their quick responses and help. This weekend I believe I will try and install Gentoo to my laptop. I enjoy a windows like environment though. Without KDE or Gnome as suggested is there an environment I can install that will be close to windows?

Thank again.
Tamerz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Memory is pretty cheap now so why don't you just bump it up?
khel
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Johnny2003 wrote:
I enjoy a windows like environment though. Without KDE or Gnome as suggested is there an environment I can install that will be close to windows?

Thank again.

Try XFCE window manager - light and beautiful :)

khel
Johnny2003
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Gentoo and XFCE Reply with quote

Does XFCE come in Gentoo? As for buying memory. I would buy a new computer first. Only becuase that is where I am leaning anyways. I just want a little taste of Gentoo first. The laptop I intend to use is just sitting there idle for the most part. I installed WinXP pro on it just to see if I could. It had Win98 on it originally.
venom600
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Try XFCE window manager - light and beautiful

Word. I've used WindowMaker for eons, but I just recently started using XFCE, and it's awesome. Fast, lightweight and highly customizeable. I just got the TwinHead functionality of my Dell Latitude D800 working tonight....running XFCE. 3520X1200 resolution rocks! :)

And, to answer your question, Johnny2003, you'll have to emerge XFCE after you install your system. It has quite a few dependencies, though, so your machine might be building for a while when you emerge it for the first time.

--Ben
VolcomPimp
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Omnibook 4150b (400mhz or 450mhz, 192mb ram, 6gig hd)
and Im runnin slack 9.1, and Im considering switching over to gentoo
so I can have another machine to troubleshoot and pimp out w/ gentoo...
everyones sayin to start w/ stage 3 but Im wonderin how long it will probly
take from stage 1?
I always hear it will take a week but then again I heard the same thing about regular
comps taking a week. My other system took roughly a day from the point of starting
the install...
I don't mind the long install but how long will it roughly take to install nothing more
than the base gentoo system? (basicly everything in the handbook, not xfree
and other packages)
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Gentoo and XFCE Reply with quote

Johnny2003 wrote:
Does XFCE come in Gentoo? As for buying memory. I would buy a new computer first. Only becuase that is where I am leaning anyways. I just want a little taste of Gentoo first. The laptop I intend to use is just sitting there idle for the most part. I installed WinXP pro on it just to see if I could. It had Win98 on it originally.

Yes and no. What Gentoo normally comes with is a package manager (portage) where you can install any program (pretty much) you want from source. All you'd do is type "emerge xfce" as root (or su) and it downloads the sources & installs.

But this would take a while on an old pc. You might want to look into the precompiled binary packages CDs to see if they have something that would work.

And you put XP pro on a box with 64 megs of ram? Man, mine was slow when it had 128; increased speed when I increased ram to 384. In fact, MS lists 128 as the "minimum" for XP.
Godfather
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i'm going to purchase a laptop, most likely from maybe Dell.
Anyways, it will include the following:

2.0 - 2.5 gh speed
256-512
30-50gig
Microsoft XP Home

Now, this is not a bad laptop eh? Well it comes with XP. And i know its good enough to run Linux on it :D
Now, should i keep both XP and put Gentoo on it and keep it bootable, or should i completely wipe out XP?
Godfather
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is going to be able to answer your question; it depends on what you want. I personally, kept Windows XP because there's still some stuff I use that works best in Windows. But lots of people go down the road of getting rid of Windows altogether. It's personal preference. If you like Windows enough: keep it. If you don't: don't keep it.
PheonixRising
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive got KDE running fine under an OLD pen. pro 180 with 64mb of ram, though it does get a little sluggish if I open too many things at once.

Im trying to install gentoo onto my old presario laptop.. but cant get past chroot.. damn errors :( Oh well, 3rd times a charm I hope
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got gentoo 1.4 installed on a really old Dell latitude 233mx.

This thing has only got 233 mhz, 32 megs of RAM and (I could be a couple of MB's of) 2.5 Gb of harddisk space.

Gentoo runs quite beautifull. Did a stage3 install, because compiling would take to long. Updated and compiled glibc after that, which gave a notable speed boost.

Gentoo is about the only distro I got working with an X Windows system. I run enlightenment, which is very light. Gnome also runs, but takes about 3 minutes to start (enlightenment only 10 seconds).

Harddisk is a bit full though. I deleted the portage tree, because I don't need any more packages than are installed now.

Speed is quite good, but Gentoo is a real space hogger for your harddisk. Battery life is quite good. (about the same as in windows)
Rainmaker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godfather wrote:
Well i'm going to purchase a laptop, most likely from maybe Dell.
Anyways, it will include the following:

2.0 - 2.5 gh speed
256-512
30-50gig
Microsoft XP Home

Now, this is not a bad laptop eh? Well it comes with XP. And i know its good enough to run Linux on it :D
Now, should i keep both XP and put Gentoo on it and keep it bootable, or should i completely wipe out XP?

Why not dual boot with win 2000 or win 98? Takes up a lot less harddisk space, and you don't have to fiddle around with "Logical Volume Management"
Godfather
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i'm thinking of getting a laptop from Dell. If so, it automatically comes with XP?
slycordinator
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2004 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Godfather wrote:
well, i'm thinking of getting a laptop from Dell. If so, it automatically comes with XP?

Yep, it automatically comes with XP. There are 2 ways of going about installing Linux in this case: delete all the partitions that are on the HD and create new ones for Linux OR use something like Partition Magic to resize the current partition (and keep the data that's there) then use the new space to create partitions for Linux.

The second way is what you'd do if you wanted to keep XP installed and use Linux at the same time.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: