New Install with a Ultra100 TX2
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zeus74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: New Install with a Ultra100 TX2 Reply with quote

I'm installing for the fist time on this machine, I have a P3 with 640M Ram and a 200G Western Digital hard drive. Because of the age of the PC I have to use a Promise Ultra100 TX2 PCI controller so that the entire drive can be seen and used. This appears to present an issue durring the installation process when I come to the fdisk section of the install procedure. When I type in fdisk -l the following show up as my one and only disk drive: /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

I think that I can use this but I would much prefer to have it simply listed as /dev/hda but if I type in fdisk /dev/hda I get a message stating that the partition will not be writeable and no partitions are listed using the p entry.

How can I make it so that I can use /dev/hda instead of the terribly long string listed previously? Can I do a symbolic link to it or is this not recommended? Will all be fine when I boot the system from the HD for the first time thus making it a moot point?

Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

-Zeus
Tazmanian
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: New Install with a Ultra100 TX2 Reply with quote

zeus74 wrote:
When I type in fdisk -l the following show up as my one and only disk drive: /dev/ide/host2/bus0/target0/lun0/disc

I think that I can use this but I would much prefer to have it simply listed as /dev/hda but if I type in fdisk /dev/hda I get a message stating that the partition will not be writeable and no partitions are listed using the p entry.

I don't know if this helps, but on my system, the Promise card gets hde and hdf. hd[a-d] refer to the on-board controllers. Also, /dev/hd? should all already be symlinks that point to the longer names.
zeus74
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tazmanian,
Thank you for waking me up! You know, I knew that but couldn't see past the documentation to put in the right thing!

Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: