View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: nForce2 problems Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

Today I compiled and installed gentoo. I followed the installation guide, step by step, and it worked perfectly.

When I was done compiling the kernel (2.6), I had to do:

emerge --usepkg nforce-kernel
emerge nforce-net
emerge nforce-audio

nforce-kernel compiled like a charm, but the other two exited with an error. I ajusted all the files you need to ajust, and at the end, when I did

etc-update

it asked me questions. I answered that it should update everything.

I rebooted and my gentoo installation worked but gave me some errors. First my boot partition gave some errors, but i fixed that with the suggestion linux gave me. I also couldn't mount my cdrom. I looked at /etc/fstab and saw that all the ajustments i had made were gone. Is this because i updated everything when etc-update'in? There was also no cdrom device in /dev Second, it gave me errors that there was no eth0 found in the system. In my linux live cd it works perfectly, but when I try to compile i always get an error.

Can someone help me?

Specs:

Amd Athlon XP 2500+
nForce2 mobo
60 Gb maxtor hdd

/dev/hda6 is boot partition
/dev/hda7 is swap
/dev/hda8 is root partition
"Windows 9x: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition"
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Well this is a painful lesson learned. Wish more n00bs would read posts like this before blindly accepting etc-updates. Whenever you run etc-update you need to look at the files it's going to change, and if you already edited them (in this case it was /etc/fstab and /etc/config.d/net) you need to look through the proposed changes carefully and include or reject them line by line. Usually if anything wants to change your fstab file just reject it. Who knows what other configs you've blown away that way, the lucky thing is you probably haven't edited that many on such a new install.

So look through the install guides and recreate your net and fstab files like you did the first time.

Also with kernel source packages, unlike almost every other type of package, emerging the package doesn't actually compile the kernel. It simply installs the source and applies a bunch of packages. That's probably why the other emerges failed--they were looking for compiled modules which didn't exist.

At the very least to compile the kernel you need to:
Code:
cd /usr/src/
rm linux
ln -s 2.6.0-whatever linux
cd linux
make menuconfig
make all modules_install
mount /boot
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-whatever
umount /boot
reboot

Before you just blindly follow these instructions read the manuals on kernel compiling and especially on configuring the kernel.

Planes are dangerous, get out of 'em quick
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeFly42 wrote:
Ouch. Well this is a painful lesson learned. Wish more n00bs would read posts like this before blindly accepting etc-updates. Whenever you run etc-update you need to look at the files it's going to change, and if you already edited them (in this case it was /etc/fstab and /etc/config.d/net) you need to look through the proposed changes carefully and include or reject them line by line. Usually if anything wants to change your fstab file just reject it. Who knows what other configs you've blown away that way, the lucky thing is you probably haven't edited that many on such a new install.

So look through the install guides and recreate your net and fstab files like you did the first time.

Also with kernel source packages, unlike almost every other type of package, emerging the package doesn't actually compile the kernel. It simply installs the source and applies a bunch of packages. That's probably why the other emerges failed--they were looking for compiled modules which didn't exist.

At the very least to compile the kernel you need to:
Code:
cd /usr/src/
rm linux
ln -s 2.6.0-whatever linux
cd linux
make menuconfig
make all modules_install
mount /boot
cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-whatever
umount /boot
reboot

Before you just blindly follow these instructions read the manuals on kernel compiling and especially on configuring the kernel.

Yes it was not very bright to just update everything. That's my mistake.
But about kernel compiling: I did all of that you said. I emerged gentoo-dev-sources and I did do make menuconfig. I compiled the kernel and placed it in /boot/kernel-2.6 So that should not be the problem, since i can boot my kernel and i get the bash prompt.

One other thing: when I chroot, and I need to do something else, i just exit. The i turn back to root user. When I give a command, I get a kernel error, something like virtual adress 00000000 error ( i don't know it exactly). So I need to reboot. Could that be it?
"Windows 9x: n. 32 bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit operating system originally coded for a 4 bit microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company that can't stand 1 bit of competition"
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You dont need the nforce-net pakage. (does it work in 2.6... I dont think so...), just use the reverse engineered forcedeth option under 10-100mbit ethernet cards in the kernel options....

Not certain whether that only is included in 'gentoo-dev-sources' or patched into the 2.6 regular but it works great for me...

Nick
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick W wrote:
You dont need the nforce-net pakage. (does it work in 2.6... I dont think so...), just use the reverse engineered forcedeth option under 10-100mbit ethernet cards in the kernel options....

Not certain whether that only is included in 'gentoo-dev-sources' or patched into the 2.6 regular but it works great for me...

Nick

And how do I do that? Just select it?
Thanks, i'll try that!

BTW, the files that were replaced by etc-update...Can I just replace them with my version again?
To
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've at work right now so I can't give you the exact info.
To copile the nforce-net you need to use the lastest on portage, type emerge /usr/portage/net-misc/nforce-net/nforce-net-xxxx ( donno the version but I think it's 2.6.1-r2 ). Same goes for the audio version. Course you need to start the machine with your new 2.6.x kernel and do this after, then a simple modprobe will load the modules.

------------------------------------------------
Linux Gandalf 3.2.35-grsec
Gentoo Base System version 2.2
------------------------------------------------
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To wrote:
I've at work right now so I can't give you the exact info.
To copile the nforce-net you need to use the lastest on portage, type emerge /usr/portage/net-misc/nforce-net/nforce-net-xxxx ( donno the version but I think it's 2.6.1-r2 ). Same goes for the audio version. Course you need to start the machine with your new 2.6.x kernel and do this after, then a simple modprobe will load the modules.

Thanks for your advice...
I'm writing this in Gentoo Linux with Lynx installed,
but I thougt links was the browser you use with live cd's, so
I emerged links, and now it is installing xfree86??? What is links? Can I just cancel it without problems?

At the nVidia site, it says that the drivers require a 2.4 kernel,
so i can't use my sound... Or maybe there is another way?
Admiral LSD
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Links is primarily a text browser but it probably has some optional X component. The beauty of Gentoo is that you don't have to accept this if you don't want to, you can use USE flags to compile only the optional components you want. In your case it would be:

Code:
USE="-X" emerge links

to do away with the X component. You might also want to put -gpm in there as well to avoid building the console mouse driver as it has problems with modern graphics drivers. You an also add these to your make.conf file so that they get applied to every emerge avoiding the need to prepend them on the command line.

Registered Linux user #319839
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admiral LSD` wrote:
Links is primarily a text browser but it probably has some optional X component. The beauty of Gentoo is that you don't have to accept this if you don't want to, you can use USE flags to compile only the optional components you want. In your case it would be:

Code:
USE="-X" emerge links

to do away with the X component. You might also want to put -gpm in there as well to avoid building the console mouse driver as it has problems with modern graphics drivers. You an also add these to your make.conf file so that they get applied to every emerge avoiding the need to prepend them on the command line.

I see, well i just configured X and it works like a charm. OK, i fixed the mouse and cdrom problems. Only the sound problem left, but it doesn't work with 2.6 kernels...

I think i'm going to try KDE now...

Thankx everbody for your help!

Last edited by oguz286 on Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you emerge anything it is always a good idea to do an emerge -p (pretend) and see what packages it will install.

As for your mouse, did you configure it in X? Is it a ps/2 or usb mouse? Do you have a mouse dev? Have you tried cat /dev/mousedev (don't use mouse dev use whatever your actual mouse device is) and moving your mouse to see if you're getting input? Have you looked in /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what problems happened loading the mouse driver?

For the CD ROM did you compile support built-in or as a module?
If a module, did you add it to the autoload file for 2.6? What do you get on dmesg when you modprobe manually?
If built in: look in dmesg for error messages. Compile it as a module and follow items for module above.

oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FreeFly42 wrote:
Before you emerge anything it is always a good idea to do an emerge -p (pretend) and see what packages it will install.

As for your mouse, did you configure it in X? Is it a ps/2 or usb mouse? Do you have a mouse dev? Have you tried cat /dev/mousedev (don't use mouse dev use whatever your actual mouse device is) and moving your mouse to see if you're getting input? Have you looked in /var/log/XFree86.0.log to see what problems happened loading the mouse driver?

For the CD ROM did you compile support built-in or as a module?
If a module, did you add it to the autoload file for 2.6? What do you get on dmesg when you modprobe manually?
If built in: look in dmesg for error messages. Compile it as a module and follow items for module above.

I just ajusted my post :) I fixed it all and everything works, except for my audio... but I hope that soon nVidia will release a 2.6 kernel driver...

Thanks again!
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.6 kernels have ALSA built in. I recommend not compiling anything with oss support and disabling the OSS extensions. I had some random keyboard locks with programs trying to use the OSS extensions in 2.6. You'll have to figure out which driver to load for your sound card, but there's plenty of documentation for that in the forums...

Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice from FreeFly, my alsa setup on nforce2 works great. Don't forget to change the arts setting in kde to use the alsa drivers....

Nick
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sound isn't that big of a problem, but I can't
get kde to compile. I did:

emerge kde

I don't get any errors, but it ends with a bar of red "-" signs.
I did env-update && source /etc/profile and tried to run kdm, but it can't find it. What did I do wrong here?
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, theirs somthing weird going on. CHeck out this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121253

msg 12 on how I got QT to compile, trying kde again now....

Nick
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick W wrote:
Yeah, theirs somthing weird going on. CHeck out this thread: https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=121253

msg 12 on how I got QT to compile, trying kde again now....

Nick

Hey yeah, i also got that error. Well...now i'm trying to do what you said in your last post...

Keeping my thumbs crossed :P
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nick, i have merged qt succesfully!

So what now? emerge kde ?
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=120849&highlight=

Check out the last couple post there too if you get stuck during kde...

Nick
oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I merged kdelibs succesfully, and now i'm going to try emerge kde.
I'll let you know if it works.

thanks!

EDIT: I just got an errormessage:

permission denied

for the /root dir. But i'm root, so why doesn't he access it?
It's still compiling, and I have to go to school now, so i'll see when i get back.
Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do this:

# FEATURES="-sandbox" USE="-java" emerge kde

Nick
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet your sandbox problems are from not having the sticky bit set on /var/tmp... Usually comes from forgetting the "-p" option when expanding the stage tarballs. Worth a look and better than not using the sandbox! :wink:
ls -ld /var/tmp should give:
Code:
drwxrwxrwt    5 root     root          152 Jan  2 13:57 /var/tmp/

Edit: it shows up as an error in / because it's running in a chrooted sandbox, not really on /

Nick W
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, mine shows exactyl that.....

Nick
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or it could be a bug in the ebuild script and I could be totally off base! Ah well. Good luck!

oguz286
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I compiled kde with just emerge kde and it works...
But how kan I add kdm to startup?

I tried:

rc-update add kdm default

but I get an error that /etc/init.d/kdm was not found.
What's wrong?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Installing Gentoo.

KDE questions go in Desktop Environments.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: