problems booting
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
arolson101
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:35 am    Post subject: problems booting Reply with quote

I've installed gentoo onto my second hard disk (hdg)

/boot is on hdg5
swap on hdg6
/ on hdg7

They're all in an extended partition.

I also have FreeBSD and WinXP- they're both on the first disk.

The FreeBSD bootloader doesn't seem to recognize gentoo. I've tried installing grub but to no avail- when on the MBR it told me that there was an error 21 (which I believe is an unknown error), and I couldn't figure out how to get it to boot anything; what I want to do is get the Win XP bootloader to load gentoo by copying the bootsector as per the instructions at http://classes.csumb.edu/CST/CST434-01/world/DualBoot.html

I've tried installing grub to (hd1,6) and using the aforementioned method, and all I get is a screen that says GRUB but doesn't do anything else. I tried installing lilo to hdg7 (root and boot) (after moving the contents of the boot directory onto the same partition), and I got a screen that said something like "LI E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 E0 ..." for half a screen and did nothing.

Any suggestions for booting?

Thanks
-ARO
Verity
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might not be the answer that you are looking for but it might solve your problem. How about setting your bios to boot from, your second harddrive first. Then in Grub set points to start freebsd and winxp. Don't know if it will work, just a suggestion. Good luck.
FreeFly42
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What commands did you use to install Grub, and what hard drives do you have physically installed? Grub will boot FreeBSD and WinXP without any trouble, but looking at your hard drive config you've got some goofy things going on which always make the configuration and installation tricky.

Planes are dangerous, get out of 'em quick
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: