an option for viruses?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vdboor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:16 pm    Post subject: an option for viruses? Reply with quote

Hi,

As far as I know, viruses have very little playground on a linux system. Mostly because of the user separation, executable permissions, and diversity of software.

but there was one thing I was wondering about: can a virus, running with my user privileges, gain access to an xterm where I use 'su'? I mean, I can copy-paste between programs, and the virus could paste a few commands it it likes it.

it this possible, or have I missed something here? because imho this could make the virus thread more realistic on the linux desktops. ..even though it's a lot harder to get viruses for linux. I often compare this with the old ms-dos days, where you needed to start the virus from a floppy disk you got from someone else.
Linux user #311670 and Yet Another Perl Programmer

[ screenies | Coding on KMess ]
The Mountain Man
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking this isn't really a concern, but I don't know much about this sort of thing.
hopstah
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to me if it were a huge threat, it would have been done by now. it's not really a groundbreaking idea, you know? ;)
teknomage1
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I the virus was smart enough to know you used 'su' it's smart enough to just steal your root password anyway and by then you're hosed. So it's not really worth worrying about.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
- the virus has to get on your system first
- it has to be executed first (remember, we don't have buggy 'I-execute-all-attachments' e-mail clients here)
- it would have to check the processlist to find an xterm/aterm/eterm/gnome-terminal/konsole/... running a root-priviledged shell it could use
- hack into the clipboard, manipulate the windowlist and paste some pre-defined strings

So while it's not impossible it would have to be fairly advanced and still need to be executed. One reason Linux is a harder target for malicious software is that each system runs different software (from console-only to full KDE), so it's hard to have a common denominator to write the software for (unlike Windows, where everyone has basically the same system).
Of course, if the virus would use the package management it could depend on the required components :lol:
vdboor
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are absolutely right about the complexity required to create such virus... and I haven't been worrying about linux viruses really much too.

If people ask something about linux viruses, I show them this article:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/33226.html It sums up pretty much everything.

However, I found this article yesterday in a simple google search: http://www.virusbtn.com/news/latest_news/granneman.xml ...and it woke me up a little.. because either we're being blinded by a little naieve "Linux is the best, and can't have viruses" advocacy, or the article is just simple FUD.

any opinions?
Linux user #311670 and Yet Another Perl Programmer

[ screenies | Coding on KMess ]
Jazz
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEHEH ! on a funny thought, i would love to see the virus get entangled in a dependency hell while trying to execute itself :P
That would teach it to remain out of Linux World for good :wink:

Bye,
Jassi
nempo
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdboor wrote:
However, I found this article yesterday in a simple google search: http://www.virusbtn.com/news/latest_news/granneman.xml ...and it woke me up a little.. because either we're being blinded by a little naieve "Linux is the best, and can't have viruses" advocacy, or the article is just simple FUD.

any opinions?

Hmm, this guy seem to think that it's OK to reinstall the OS everytime you catch a virus just so that the OS can be user-friendly. Most of the 'damages' the author talks about can just aswell have been caused by a windows/bsd/macosX machine. I also think the author is wrong when he's saying that you need to have unrestrictive access to the entire system for it to be hard-work-free/user-friendly, why not simply ask for a password when you'd like to touch sensitive system files and such.

would Big Brother become a reality?

Yeah . . . it would be just like the tv show. Except somebody would be watching.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: