Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
grsecurity problems: RLIMIT errors ^ init 90%CPUload ^ ...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trapni
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 9:48 pm    Post subject: grsecurity problems: RLIMIT errors ^ init 90%CPUload ^ ... Reply with quote

hi,

I installed grsecurity with linux-2.4.22-gentoo-r2. Now the system complains about lots of RLIMIT exceedings, that causes some programs to crash.

Also, lots of cron, apache2, bash and other processes died unexpectly into Zombie state. (which didn't happen in vanilla-2.4.22).

I decided to reboot via "reboot;exit" via ssh (instant local access impossible) which did not reboot the system, but made the init process become my second idle task, since it is wasing most of my CPU spare time (~95%CPUload). -- WHY?

Then I decided to hard-reboot the system, via a little C program.
Code:
#include <sys/reboot.h>
int main() { retrurn reboot(RB_AUTOBOOT); }
which at least has turned off the system.

So now, my system isn't serving anymore - until some kind of guy with the privileges to hold the server's room's key and will let me in to push the button.

How could I prevent such ugly ugly worst cases of down times? Is there any other possible way to reboot the system, or to re-execve the init process or to cleanup the zombie process list?

many many thanks,
Christian Parpart.
alexem
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: grsecurity problems: RLIMIT errors ^ init 90%CPUload ^ . Reply with quote

trapni wrote:
hi,

<...>

I decided to reboot via "reboot;exit" via ssh (instant local access impossible) which did not reboot the system, but made the init process become my second idle task, since it is wasing most of my CPU spare time (~95%CPUload). -- WHY?

Then I decided to hard-reboot the system, via a little C program.
Code:
#include <sys/reboot.h>
int main() { retrurn reboot(RB_AUTOBOOT); }
which at least has turned off the system.

<...>

many many thanks,
Christian Parpart.

I had the same problem with my server tonight, I'm running Gentoo Linux gentoo-sources-2.4.22-r4 with grsecurity set to "medium".

I would like to thank you for your cool "reboot" program :) It helped me very much :)

Good luck!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: