Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Bad 1.13mb bzImage at the end
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nait1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Bad 1.13mb bzImage at the end Reply with quote

Hi,

I built the system using the stage3 tarball. Everything work well but cannot boot at the end. The bzImage is about 1.13mb (P4/Mv42n), kind of big but refused to load. Grub just throw me back to the menu selection screen again and agin. I know my grub is working properly. It load XP/Mandrake/Lycoris OK.

I tried to build the bzImage by booting into Mandrake, mount the partition, chroot and make etc.. Still the same size kernel about 1.13mb and still the same problem, can not boot.

I also tried using Mandrake's kernel to replace bzImage and boot up the system. I work OK. Just that modules are not in the right place to load. so... seem that the akeprocess is not building me a good kernel image.

Any suggestion? or anyone has a good kernel for P4/Mv42n to spare? Just want to continue building the system and see how the distribution go.

.nait.
nait1

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to bring it up here :)
What is the right bzImage size? Can anyone send me a P4 working bzImage?
Also, what addition steps reqired to build bzImage in other distro? say mdk or lycoris?
Thanks,
.nait.
rommel
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why dont you try loading booting the kernel bzImage with a grub boot floppy and see if it works that way
nait1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a different using boot floppy for grub? Just that I have a floppy-less system. I though maybe I could get a good bzImage via mail and give it a shot. Mdk kernel placed in Gentoo /boot could boot the system. That's why I suspect that the bzImage is bad. I have not try using the bzImage to boot mdk though.
.nait.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: