Gentoo isn't too bad...<grin>
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Gentoo isn't too bad...<grin> Reply with quote

I have been using Mandrake since Ver. 7.1...

I have installed/tried several other distros in the 3 yrs. I have been fiddling with linux. I have done Red Hat, Turbolinux, Vector, Debian, and several others.

Gentoo is the first distro that I have tried, other than Mandrake, that has really tripped my trigger. :D

Congrats to the Gentoo team...you have a very nice distro; and, I belive that if you can keep up what you have done so far, that you will be looked back on as one of the top distros.

BTW, I know some of you feel it is now...and as far as I am concerned, it is. But, I am talking about how history will view it.

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...
ectospasm
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You forgot to mention the best part, IMO, of Gentoo: its community. These forums along with the documentation and various IRC channels on various networks combine to make Gentoo the best supported distribution that I've ever used. I don't care how good a distribution is, if the community of users is not there, it won't take off. Kudos to the Gentoo team for building such a community!
discoone
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above post. I used Redhat before, but gave up on account of my speedtouch modem. A friend recommended Gentoo for it's emerge tool and it's community et voila - a working internet connection in linux :)

The community is very active, definitely a pull factor when I was weighing up the merits of various distros.
Nu-Bee_4VR
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ectospasm wrote:
You forgot to mention the best part, IMO, of Gentoo: its community. These forums along with the documentation and various IRC channels on various networks combine to make Gentoo the best supported distribution that I've ever used. I don't care how good a distribution is, if the community of users is not there, it won't take off. Kudos to the Gentoo team for building such a community!

Yes, that is another reason I like Gentoo.

I have found support in this forum, on IRC, and on Usenet...

In the majority of any Democrat/Republican or Liberal/Conservative Debates on TV, pay close attention to how much MORE often the Liberal/Democrat butts in and rudely talks 'over' the Conservative/Republican.

Think about it...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: